Cars: Family marketing message now is to parents, not kids

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
      Carfree fans,

      The following is from Automotive News, and it makes me feel ill. Living in Central Europe and not having a TV, I didnt realise how pervasive automobilism had become in children's media (infiltration of Sesame Street, Nickelodeon, etc..) and I dont think it matters much that parents have responded negatively to marketing to kids, because the venue nor message hasnt really changed...

      While there is no way we can compete on sheer volume, are there any new activties we can start planning that will combat this in a more effective way? For Carfree Network Members and Active Individuals, do we need to start a programme specifically on "Automobiles in the media"?

      Two ideas:

      * What I will call "non-specific product placement": Getting more movies and TV shows to show positive views of public transport, walking or cycling. How about a TV sit-com that takes place on a commuter train, with the characters seeing each other every day? (the industry would LOVE to help construct a set). For variety, they could start or the end show every day with a few of the characters walking to the transport/transit stop together. Or even walking or cycling alone, thinking. Or for a movie, either encouraging friends who are screenwriters etc to include trains... or even get a big public transport sector company like Bombardier, Hitachi, etc to pay for product placement? (I realise people are tired of more formal product placement) Will automobile advertisters prevent this happening this idea from being realised?

      * "Carfree Kids Action Figures"!!

      Todd, Green Idea Factory

      ---

      Family marketing message now is to parents, not kids

      Automotive News / January 2, 2006

      A few years ago, automakers thought they had the key to marketing to parents through their children: Put characters from cartoons and kids' TV shows and movies in ads for minivans and SUVs.

      Ford Division used characters from "Blue's Clues" and "Sesame Street." Chevrolet recruited the Looney Tunes crowd. E.T. appeared in Toyota Sienna ads. SpongeBob SquarePants plugged Endeavors for Mitsubishi. The Chrysler group included Dora the Explorer in its minivan marketing.

      But the strategy backfired, says Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research.

      The Bandon, Ore., company's surveys showed that parents disdained the "mom-mobile" label attached to family vehicles, Spinella says. And they resented automotive advertising aimed at juveniles, he adds.

      Two more excerpts from article:

      "...American Honda Motor Co. Inc. built an Odyssey minivan giveaway last year around its sponsorship of Little League baseball. The company also is developing an exhibit for the Tomorrowland area of Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif..."

      +

      "Jim Perry, senior vice president of ad sales for Nickelodeon, a cable TV network that offers children's programming, says vehicle shopping has become a form of entertainment for many families."

      Full story at http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060102/FREE/51229030/1011/newsletter07&refsect=newsletter07

    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
        As for a tv show set on a commuter train, we had one here in Canada on
        Global called "Train 48".

        Take care, Andrew