cft: Editorial: Irritation / Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Times #41

  • markus-heller@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hi Joel,
      happy new year, and thanks for your new cft !

      Your irritation (Editorial: Irritation) has really good reasons, but we can see several steps in the right direction: It`s not only what is happening - for example - in London (political support for thousands of carfree housing schemes), Bristol (new carfree student village), Cologne (building of the carfree project "Nippes" started 12-Dec-05) or the great help from Lloyd Wright with his new "Car-Free Development" module he did for GTZ/SUTP, but there is also a trend to "optical carfree housing", I mean - while it`s not enough - it`s great that it`s becoming *standard* for more an more people to wish to live in a carfree environment.
      And more and more tourist destinations realise the value of carfree concepts and do offensive PR with that.

      Currently I do the marketing for a real (unfortunately, very small) carfree project here and those interested households enjoy its carfreedom. They are thankful that there is a official design regulation (accepted by our Senate!) that gives them surence, that also no neighbour will drive in, and so that it saves their children. Not to forget that they are don`t forced to pay for parking places nobody needs ...
      I think, in the beginning of the 90ies there was no such public acceptance for "carfree" like today, no ? It`s more than only a post-materialism trend.

      However, keep your irritation in the text, those questions are important from time to time, but, things go in the right direction !

      best wishes

      Markus
      Carfree Living Berlin Collaborative
      www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html
      *
      StrelitzerGardens - carfree living in the middle of Berlin
      www.strelitzergaerten.de (german only, sorry)
      *
      World Carfree Network - SC
      www.worldcarfree.net

      P.S.: Info to the projects I mentioned above:
      - London: www.carfreehousing.org
      - Bristol: Steve Melia wrote here 7-Dec-05 "The University of West of England is currently building a car-free `student villageĀ“ for 2,000 undergraduates on its Frenchay campus". Steve, please keep us updated !
      - Cologne: www.autofreie-siedlung-koeln.de & www.stellwerk60.de (both german only, sorry)
      - "Car-Free Development" module: www.sutp.org/download/carfreemodule.php
      - examples for tourist destination concepts with carfree PR: www.fahrtziel-natur.de, www.reiselust-deutschland.de, www.gast.org, Agnieska starts something in Poland, ...

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
        markus-heller@... wrote:
        However, keep your irritation in the text, those questions are important from time to time, but, things go in the right direction !Briefly, all the stuff Markus says is true - and thanks for the compilation of good news - the intentionally-carfree movement is growing... BUT... only relative to ITSELF. So, while thousands or tens of thousands of people are literally breathing in (etc) the benefits of the schemes he mentions, at the same I think 100000 times more people are going in an opposite and unwavering direction. The end of easy oil might stop them in their tracks, but by then the result will just be chaos.

        - Todd, Green Idea Factory

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
          Hi Markus,

          Happy new year to you, too. (and thank god the holidays are over!)

          >Your irritation (Editorial: Irritation) has really good reasons, but
          >we can see several steps in the right direction: It`s not only what is
          >happening - for example - in London (political support for thousands
          >of carfree housing schemes), Bristol (new carfree student village),
          >Cologne (building of the carfree project "Nippes" started 12-Dec-05)
          >or the great help from Lloyd Wright with his new "Car-Free
          >Development" module he did for GTZ/SUTP, but there is also a trend to
          >"optical carfree housing", I mean - while it`s not enough - it`s great
          >that it`s becoming *standard* for more an more people to wish to live
          >in a carfree environment.
          >And more and more tourist destinations realise the value of carfree
          >concepts and do offensive PR with that.
          >
          >Currently I do the marketing for a real (unfortunately, very small)
          >carfree project here and those interested households enjoy its
          >carfreedom. They are thankful that there is a official design
          >regulation (accepted by our Senate!) that gives them surence, that
          >also no neighbour will drive in, and so that it saves their children.
          >Not to forget that they are don`t forced to pay for parking places
          >nobody needs ...
          >I think, in the beginning of the 90ies there was no such public
          >acceptance for "carfree" like today, no ? It`s more than only a
          >post-materialism trend.
          >
          >However, keep your irritation in the text, those questions are
          >important from time to time, but, things go in the right direction !

          What I really meant was that if you went to Montreal or any of
          the other big international meetings on the climate/oil/gas problems,
          you will hear nothing at all about carfree cities as a potential
          alternative--the idea is simply not present at these gatherings.

          Yes, we have made some progress, particularly in Germany, but, as
          I said at the start of TCFC, we're winning battles but still losing
          the war, badly. Time seems to be running out. What comes next?
          How much time do we really have?

          I don't know, but I am very, very worried.

          Best,

          Joel

          ----- ### -----
        • Colin Leath
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
            (David, Gus, see the bottom!)
            Joel,
            I know your editorial wasn't a call for encouraging quips. . . or maybe it was.

            I don't consider myself as strong as those of you who can work for
            carfreedom full time. (keep that in mind)

            My approach has been to consider the "carfree" as a subculture or as a
            religious group/cult--some of which have done very well by their
            members.

            Your focus may be on persuading humanity, across the board, that
            carfree cities are the only way.

            I say: there are already thousands of people who don't need to be
            persuaded. Let's do the best we can for them (us).

            At worst, we may have little enclaves within car-infested cities
            devoid of public transit, or a network of rural carfree
            ecovillages--enclaves that support and make carfree existence more
            pleasant than it already is. Consider the neighborhoods of
            conservative Jews, who all live near their synagogue, and don't use
            cars on Saturday. . .
            There is such a synagogue near San Diego State, and they transform,
            somewhat, what is otherwise a barren, Southern California suburb.

            Maybe thriving enclaves of the carfree won't help us when the rest of
            society self-destructs because of their choices. . .

            Consider the possibility that the car-centric cities and individuals
            won't all self-destruct, that they are / will only become
            significantly less vital than communities and individuals that are
            carfree.

            Here is the quote that came to mind after reading your editorial, the
            second quote, not the first:

            http://www.hopedance.org/new/issues/51/article1.html
            "Daniel left us with two quotes from Mr. McKibben which I will include
            here to give you the feel for the importance of City Repair:

            "The most important work to be done towards sustainability right now
            is to help people realize that they are part of something larger than
            themselves--that their actions affect the environmental economic, and
            social welfare of others."

            and:

            "The only way to subvert people is to have more fun than they do."

            (Still to be found at
            http://www.cityrepair.org/organization.html )

            On a different topic,
            If David Ceaser or Gus Yates are reading this, why haven't they announced
            http://carfreecity.us/news.html#study ?
            (I don't see this mentioned on any of the lists--it seems to be a
            significant accomplishment! Maybe I just missed it.)

            CarFree City, USA has just released a groundbreaking study on the
            economic benefits of CarFree development. From the research that has
            been done to date, savings would be around $915 million on a CarFree
            development for 12,000 people. Read more about our study and take a
            look at the presentation here:

            http://www.carfreecity.us/study.html

            Colin Leath

            PS:
            Some of you might enjoy my draft of a satire pesticide ad:

            http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/colin/ad0001/

            --
            http://carfreeuniverse.org