Latest from George Monbiot

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2005
      Hi All,

      The Anti-Social Bastards in Our Midst

      The car is turning us into a nation of libertarians

      By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 20th December 2005

      http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/12/20/the-anti-social-bastards-in-our-midst/

      Regards,

      ------ ### -----
    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2005
        On the subject of libertarians I present this. Take care, Andrew

        http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/cox200512201448.asp

        >From: "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
        >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com,network@...
        >Subject: [carfree_cities] Latest from George Monbiot
        >Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:15:23 +0000
        >

        >Hi All,
        >
        >The Anti-Social Bastards in Our Midst
        >
        >The car is turning us into a nation of libertarians
        >
        >By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 20th December 2005
        >
        >http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/12/20/the-anti-social-bastards-in-our-midst/
        >
        >Regards,
        >

        >------ ### -----
        >J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        >mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com
      • Doug Salzmann
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 21, 2005
          On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Andrew Dawson wrote:

          > On the subject of libertarians I present this. Take care, Andrew
          >
          > http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/cox200512201448.asp

          Wow. Transit and unions in the cross-hairs at the same time. Surely, Cox
          has died and gone to heaven.

          The TWU strikers *and* the MTA should charge him for this opportunity.

          -Doug

          --
          Doug Salzmann
          P.O. Box 1007
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 22, 2005
            Hey, I don't like Wendell Cox's auto-cratic tone either, but for an odd time
            he has a semi-valid point. Transit is an essential service, so going on
            strike just hurts passengers. If transit workers want to do some thing
            constructive, then when they are off duty, make a blockade on the
            Interstates.

            This also reminds me of that stupid grocery workers strike in California a
            while back. What the workers should have done was block off walmart stores
            when they were off duty, not their employers stores. Make walmart pay the
            price for killing North American jobs.

            Take care, Andrew

            >From: Doug Salzmann <doug@...>
            >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: RE: [carfree_cities] Latest from George Monbiot
            >Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:32:58 -0800 (PST)
            >
            >On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Andrew Dawson wrote:
            >
            > > On the subject of libertarians I present this. Take care, Andrew
            > >
            > > http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/cox200512201448.asp
            >
            >Wow. Transit and unions in the cross-hairs at the same time. Surely, Cox
            >has died and gone to heaven.
            >
            >The TWU strikers *and* the MTA should charge him for this opportunity.
            >

            > -Doug
            >

            >--
            >Doug Salzmann
            >P.O. Box 1007
            >Larkspur, CA 94977
            >

            >Post messages to: carfree_cities@...
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Matt Hohmeister
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
              *screams in agony*

              I'm no libertarian, but a close friend of mine is, and we enjoy discussing the liberal and
              libertarian points of view on different political issues. He is a real libertarian, though, and
              does NOT think sprawl is a result of the "free market" at work. They will ignore the $60M
              the City of Tallahassee spent on a 4-mile road extension nobody wanted, then turn
              around and scream bloody murder at the $6M subsidy to the city's bus system.

              --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > The Anti-Social Bastards in Our Midst
              >
              > The car is turning us into a nation of libertarians
              >
              > By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 20th December 2005
              >
              > http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/12/20/the-anti-social-bastards-in-our-
              midst/

              > Regards,
            • Andrew Dawson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
                It's funny that you should bring this up, today I got kicked off a
                libertaryan list called "Transport Policy". Most of the people well known
                transit haters like Wendell Cox, Mel Zucker, Randall O'Toole, Thomas Rubin
                and etc. The people there didn't believe me that Amtrak costs less than 4
                cents per person in the USA per day and that roads aren't fully covered by
                user fees. Ignorance is bliss and these people are very ignorant to the
                world around them.

                Take care, Andrew