Re: [carfree_cities] Problem with Waste Removal

  • kiwehtin
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
      I've never heard of this Nabble before. It seems strange that they
      reproduce the Yahoo! group forums on their page; I wonder how this
      happens? In any case, I see from the Nabble page that this is an old
      thread from back in May this year. As for your comments:

      On Dec 19, 2005, at 10:17 AM, Puzer (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

      > Hello, I am new to this site and just read your post. As well as
      > some others that you have been conversing with. Pneumatic waste
      > transportation is an excellent sustainable form of waste management
      > for now and the future. We are the North American distributor of
      > these system for a company out of Finland. We are currently
      > working developing some systems for the Southern Ontario Market
      > where there is tremendous growth. In a nutshell, we will provide a
      > waste collection to each apartment building, condo, or townhouse.
      > Transportation of the waste will be in 450mm (18inch) pipes below
      > grade to a central pickup location for approximately 30 buildings
      > 25 acres of land. This will eliminate the need for waste bins
      > located at each building, reduce the amount of waste collection
      > trucks, and provide for a cleaner, safer community. Which should
      > be everyone's goal.

      Certainly pneumatic tube systems would help eliminate trucks,
      allowing a carfree city to keep its character. BUT, as far as
      sustainability per se is concerned, I'm inclined to think that
      pneumatic tubes (similar to the garbage chutes to be found in many
      apartment buildings) encourage an "out of sight, out of mind"
      mindset. They could very well just encourage people to just toss
      everything together into the pneumo-system, rather than taking the
      (albeit negligible) time and effort to sort different kinds of throw-
      offs, e.g. compostables, plastics, paper, glass, toxic materials
      etc., for different purposes. If you want to make pneumatic disposal
      systems part of a sustainable solution, you would have to put in
      place a whole parallel system for each type of disposable, from the
      starting point where a user disposes of their waste (one disposal
      door for each type), through parallel systems of tubes, to the end
      points of each system where the disposables are processed for reuse.
      Of course, this would be far more expensive than an single system
      that handles everything, but I can't see how pneumatic tube disposal
      would be really sustainable in any real sense of the word otherwise.
      I think a truly sustainable overall solution would demand various
      different kinds of distinct disposal systems: some of them, for
      example compostables, would best operate at a city block level
      (unless some kind of special compostables collection service operates
      at the city level); others, such as collection of recyclable or toxic
      materials (fluids, chemicals, batteries) could operate via regular
      collection services using fleets of smaller vans. In fact, some kinds
      of recycling cold be undertaken by at-store return programs. Mountain
      Equipment Co-op stores have a take-back program for used batteries;
      this kind of thing could be encouraged by a combination of retailer-
      and user-targeted surcharges, coupled with return reimbursements, for
      a whole range of toxic materials. There are all kinds of alternatives
      I can imagine that seem to me to contribute way more to
      sustainability than a "toss 'em all down the chute" approach.

      Regards,

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
        And how exactly do you keep the waste streams separated
        to facilitate recycling/reuse?

        >Hello, I am new to this site and just read your post. As well as some
        >others that you have been conversing with. Pneumatic waste
        >transportation is an excellent sustainable form of waste management
        >for now and the future. We are the North American distributor of
        >these system for a company out of Finland. We are currently working
        >developing some systems for the Southern Ontario Market where there is
        >tremendous growth. In a nutshell, we will provide a waste collection
        >to each apartment building, condo, or townhouse. Transportation of
        >the waste will be in 450mm (18inch) pipes below grade to a central
        >pickup location for approximately 30 buildings 25 acres of land. This
        >will eliminate the need for waste bins located at each building,
        >reduce the amount of waste collection trucks, and provide for a
        >cleaner, safer community. Which should be everyone's goal.
        >
        >Regards.
        >
        >--
        >Sent from the Car Free Cities forum at Nabble.com:
        >http://www.nabble.com/Problem-with-Waste-Removal-t15721.html#a2010446

        >Post messages to: carfree_cities@...
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        ------ ### -----
      • Puzer (sent by Nabble.com)
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
          Hello Christopher.

          Actually, it is exactly what you mentioned. Let me explain.
          The tenant would separate their waste into each different fraction that is deemed by the municipality. Then they would proceed to the Waste Collection unit, press the colour coded button to identify the waste that they are disposing of. The system would then send the fraction to the appropriate compaction container. Our system is a single pipeline that all waste is transported however it is separated via PLC programming and a butterfly valve type of system to redirection the waste accordingly. Our system has software that allows for an excellent tracking device to continually audit the different waste being transported. I could send you pictures if you would like to see how our system works.

          Regards,
          klebreton@...
          --
          Sent from the Car Free Cities forum at Nabble.com:
          http://www.nabble.com/Problem-with-Waste-Removal-t15721.html#a2011833