Re: Gas lamps return to Prague Old Town

  • dearleb
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2005
      I visited Prague in December 1978, and at that time there were still gas
      lamps in the Mala Strana, lit by hand. I understand the gas lamps were
      removed in the early nineties due to the danger of leaks from the
      doubtless ancient and ill-maintained original equipment. Excellent to
      hear that new replacements have been installed.

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Todd Edelman
      <traintowardsthefuture@y...> wrote:

      > From <http://www.radio.cz/en/article/73556>
      >
      > The next time you come to Prague don't forget to take a late
      evening walk in order to admire the city in a new light. The Prague
      town hall has decided to bring back gas lamps to some parts of town
      to re-create the atmosphere of days gone by. The plan to highlight the
      town's historic character is both expensive and long term, but you can
      already admire the gas lamps in Celetna street for instance.

      > This old fashioned lighting - a cold yellow blurry light with overtones
      of blue and green - is much more romantic than the electric lighting
      elsewhere but if you are on your own it can also be a lot more spooky,
      so you will have no trouble at all believing all the blood-curling legends
      about headless riders and other late night apparitions said to roam
      about town on dark nights. The gas lights are switched on
      automatically at dusk but on very special occasions you may get to
      see an old fashioned lamp lighter, slowly going down the street,
      lighting one gas lamp after another with a long bamboos stick. Then
      you'll really feel you are back in 1847 when gas lamps first appeared in
      the streets of Prague.