Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Universities

  • Dartmoorsteve
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
      The University of West of England is currently building a car-free "student village" for 2,000 undergraduates on its Frenchay campus in Bristol. Although there is car access elsewhere on the site, it will be a condition of living in the student appartments that they do not own cars. There will be no parking provided and no road access to that part of the site.

      They took this decision because the local authority, who were concerned about traffic congestion in the area generally, made it a condition of any expansion on the site that it generated no additional traffic. The idea is that at present undergraduates live off the campus - some of them drive, so housing them on campus will reduce some of those journeys.

      The University website is www.uwe.ac.uk.

      Steve Melia

      Anjou Noyes <anjou.noyes@...> wrote:
      Dear Carfree enthusiasts,
      Im a student of the University of Toronto, Canada who belongs to a movement
      of students interested in creating carfree zones on our campus. The group is
      only about a week or two old. I was fairly inspired/impressed by your
      carfree.com website and was hoping people on this forum could give me some
      advice as to how to approach the implementation of a carfree campus. Has
      this been done before? What would be the best plan of action? Can you direct
      me to any good sites? Just trying to get some ideas...

      regards,
      Anjou

      Post messages to: carfree_cities@...
      Yahoo! Groups Links