FW: Further Bans on Fuel Free Transport (FFT) in Dhaka City

  • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005

      From: Dr. Mahabubul Bari [mailto:mmbari@...]
      Sent: Jueves, 01 de Diciembre de 2005 05:53 p.m.
      Subject: Further Bans on Fuel Free Transport (FFT) in Dhaka City

      December 2, 2005

      Christine Wallich

      Country Director

      The World Bank

      Plot No. E-32 Agargaon

      Sher-e-Bangla Nagar

      CC: Sadek Hossian Khoka, Mayor, Dhaka City Corporation

      Minister, Ministry of Communication

      Chairman, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Communication

      Secretary, Ministry of Communication

      Member Planning Commission, Bangladesh

      Executive Director, DTCB

      Chief Engineer, Roads & Highways Department

      Chief Engineer, Local Government Engineering Department

      Chairman, RAJUK

      Walter Hook, Executive Director, ITDP

      V. Setty Pendakur, Chairman, Committee for Planning in Developing Countries,
      Transportation Research Board

      Lew Fulton, UNEP

      David Jarrett, Team Leader, STP

      Jamilur Raza Chowdhury, Chairman Steering Committee of STP.

      Richard Scurfield, World Bank

      Guang Chen, World Bank

      Mitsuyoshi Asada, World Bank

      Jean-Noel Guillossou, World Bank

      Enrique Pantoja, World Bank

      Navaid Qureshi, World Bank

      Representatives of ADB

      Representative of JICA

      Representative of DFID

      Debra Efroymson, Regional Director, PATH Canada

      Saifuddin Ahmed, Executive Director, WBB Trust

      Lloyd Wright, UCL

      Karl Fjellstrom, ITDP

      Michael Replogle, Environmental Defence, President, ITDP

      Randy Ghent, World Car Free Network

      Qumrul Islam Siddique, Former Executive Director, DTCB

      Md. Quium, UNESCAP

      Jahir Uddin Chowdhury, BUET

      Alamgir Mujibul Hoque, Team Leader DUTP in BUET

      Jonathan Rouse, Independent Consultant on Sustainable Developments

      Dear Dr. Wallich,

      We, the Roads for People movement, would like to thank you for your very
      reassuring letter concerning further bans on FFT in Dhaka City. We feel very
      encouraged by the Bank's firm commitment to safeguard the ability of the
      poor to earn a living, and the rights of women and other vulnerable groups
      to have a safe, affordable and convenient transport.

      It is also very reassuring your reaffirming the fundamental principal of
      transport policy appraisal on the basis of economic efficiency and social
      equity. We hope it will set the minimum standard for all decision makers and
      transport professionals in Bangladesh prior to embarking on any potentially
      regressive transport policy, such as FFT bans.

      In this connection, we would like to express our gratitude to the Government
      of Bangladesh for upholding natural justice and postponing any further bans
      on FFT infinitely (the related news is attached herewith). We hope DCC and
      DTCB authorities; STP (Strategic Transport Plan) team and its Steering
      Committee will show a neutral attitude while selecting potential transport
      policies. Unlike the recently completed STP study, any future transport
      study should adopt a balance approach to all road users irrespective of FFT
      or FDT (Fuel Dependent Transport) and also explore among other sustainable
      alternatives, the potential mobility and economic benefits of reintroduction
      of FFT in all roads, where they have been banned including all VIP roads.

      We therefore fervently request the local transport authorities to avail this
      opportunity and try to explore other sustainable alternatives, which have
      the potentials not only to ensure balanced developments and maximum
      door-to-door mobility of people and goods but also to protect the right of
      the poor and the vulnerable road users. A number of such solutions have
      already been proposed by the STP Consultants in the Working Paper no. 6,
      entitled "Public Transport and Mass Rapid Transit in Dhaka", which was
      published in November 2004. Again, the United Nations Environmental
      Programme has undertaken initiatives to promote integration of FFT and bus
      priority measures in a number of developing countries on the basis of proven
      technologies. Moreover, countries in Europe have been actively supporting
      sustainable transport by discouraging car use and promoting public
      transport, walking and cycling. Dhaka has lot to learn from the ongoing
      sustainable transport developments throughout the world and formulate its
      own transport policy accordingly.

      Finally, we would like to congratulate once again the Government of
      Bangladesh for paying due attention to the public opinion and the sufferings
      of the masses, and the World Bank for upholding the fundamental principals
      of transport policy appraisal and social justice.

      On behalf of the Roads for People movement

      Mahabubul Bari

      Principal Research Engineer

      130 Davidson Road

      Surrey CR0 6DE