Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Universities

  • The Wogster
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2005
      Lloyd Wright wrote:

      >Just to follow-up on Anjou's question, I actually don't know of any
      >universities that are 100% carfree. Many are largely carfree by the nature of
      >their design, but I can't think of any that have a set policy. AIT in
      >Thailand is fairly close but still allows some vehicles. Likewise, Oxford and
      >Cambridge are close, but I believe there are both delivery vehicles and some
      >staff allowances. I am curious if anyone knows of any completely carfree
      >universities; perhaps there is a small university in Venice?

      I'll say your likely rightm although U of Toronto, is probably a good
      candidate, at least at the main campus, parking is rare and expensive,
      transit is plentiful and can be cheap if you go totally car free, and
      live within the city of Toronto, where it's serviced by TTC. I've been
      to the main campus, and bikes are plentiful and it's serviced by at
      least 2 subway stops. Going totally car free in Toronto, is really
      easy, in some areas, but is almost completely impossible in other
      areas.... By the same token, Scarborough Campus is much more car
      oriented, having only bus service. York University is also much more
      car oriented, although the city wants to build a subway out there. I
      think a light rail line, would probably work better, but then what do I
      know?

    • Dartmoorsteve
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
        The University of West of England is currently building a car-free "student village" for 2,000 undergraduates on its Frenchay campus in Bristol. Although there is car access elsewhere on the site, it will be a condition of living in the student appartments that they do not own cars. There will be no parking provided and no road access to that part of the site.

        They took this decision because the local authority, who were concerned about traffic congestion in the area generally, made it a condition of any expansion on the site that it generated no additional traffic. The idea is that at present undergraduates live off the campus - some of them drive, so housing them on campus will reduce some of those journeys.

        The University website is www.uwe.ac.uk.

        Steve Melia

        Anjou Noyes <anjou.noyes@...> wrote:
        Dear Carfree enthusiasts,
        Im a student of the University of Toronto, Canada who belongs to a movement
        of students interested in creating carfree zones on our campus. The group is
        only about a week or two old. I was fairly inspired/impressed by your
        carfree.com website and was hoping people on this forum could give me some
        advice as to how to approach the implementation of a carfree campus. Has
        this been done before? What would be the best plan of action? Can you direct
        me to any good sites? Just trying to get some ideas...

        regards,
        Anjou

        Post messages to: carfree_cities@...
        Yahoo! Groups Links