Re: [carfree_cities] Fw: CM-MELB: Cohousing Info Arvo, Sat 1 July 2000, 2.30-5pm at ACF, 340 Gore St, Fitzroy - to cmass-melb@vmore.org.au

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28 3:36 AM
      >Has anyone on the list heard of cohousing?

      See:

      McCamant, Kathryn and Charles Durrett

      Cohousing: A Contemporary Approach to Housing Ourselves
      (Berkeley: Habitat Press, 1988)

      The best source book of which I am aware on the subject of cohousing, an
      arrangement that lies between private dwellings and communal life. Each family
      has its own private space but the community has its own shared spaces, usually
      including a kitchen and dining room where meals are taken together several
      times a week. Not intrinsically car-free but highly susceptible to greatly reduced
      car usage. Full of case examples and plans.

      >I'd be interested to think what the carfree list thinks of this all - it is
      >certainly something I have not heard of before, although something I have
      >dreamt of as a kind of ideal... Is it possible that this could fit in
      >somewhere as a "base unit" for carfree if it is serviced by adequate public
      >transport and is close to other facilities or is it too "hippy"? It seems
      >as though it is the next step in creating neighbourhoods - getting rid of
      >fences as well!

      Cohousing fits extremely well in a carfree city. Just pick a block that's
      the right size and use the interior courtyard as the community's common
      space. Not necessary for carfree cities to work, but IMHO a highly
      desirable addition; not everybody's cup of tea.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_ ISBN 9057270374
      postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com