Orange Line in the SFV

  • Claude Willey
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2005
      Yes, the Orange Line did open last week and the new system had about
      11k riders per day.
      That was, of course, with the television media's spin on the problems
      associated with the confusion at intersection crossings.
      Seems two cars in one day ran into the buses. And, as many of you had
      probably guessed, the one driver was on her cell phone. The cameras
      caught her.
      The television news media didn't even question that the motorists were
      at fault or that motorists need to be more aware of these new
      high-speed buses. Critics claimed
      the buses shouldn't be silver or that there should be crossing-arms
      used at other MTA rail crossings.
      This type of system works quite well in Curitiba, carrying 1.3 million
      a day in a city where there is 75% car ownership.

      At present, the new high-speed Orange Line buses are moving slower, as
      they've been instructed, and taking unanticipated precautions at the
      intersections. The line also has a new 14-mile cycle path running
      alongside the route, but I'm not sure if you can take bikes aboard like
      you can on the other MTA rail lines.

      I hope to ride it next week. Unfortunately it doesn't help me go
      anywhere I usually go, but it seems to be helping lots of others.

      --Claude, car-free in L.A.

      On Nov 6, 2005, at 10:41 AM, carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 5
      > Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 02:11:31 +0000 (GMT)
      > From: Todd Edelman <traintowardsthefuture@...>
      > Subject: New BRT system in San Fernando Valley
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > New LA Orange Line (BRT) opened a week ago. It is a
      > feeder line to the Red Line (Metro).
      >
      > First see:
      > <http://www.metro.net/projects_programs/orangeline/images/
      > ol_interactive.htm>
      >
      > press releases, etc are at:
      > <http://www.metro.net/press/2005/10_October/metro_159.htm>
      > and
      > <http://www.metro.net/press/metroorangeline.htm>
      >
      > All the references to "artistic" amenities are kind of
      > telling... and I think but am not sure that it runs
      > partly on old railroad right-of-way but not sure...
      >
      > Todd, Green Idea Factory (and ex-Valley Boy)

    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2005
        Claude Willey wrote:
        >Yes, the Orange Line did open last week and the new system had about
        >11k riders per day.
        >That was, of course, with the television media's spin on the problems
        >associated with the confusion at intersection crossings.
        >Seems two cars in one day ran into the buses. And, as many of you had
        >probably guessed, the one driver was on her cell phone. The cameras
        >caught her.
        >The television news media didn't even question that the motorists were
        >at fault or that motorists need to be more aware of these new
        >high-speed buses. Critics claimed
        >the buses shouldn't be silver or that there should be crossing-arms
        >used at other MTA rail crossings.
        >This type of system works quite well in Curitiba, carrying 1.3 million
        >a day in a city where there is 75% car ownership.
        >
        >At present, the new high-speed Orange Line buses are moving slower, as
        >they've been instructed, and taking unanticipated precautions at the
        >intersections. The line also has a new 14-mile cycle path running
        >alongside the route, but I'm not sure if you can take bikes aboard like
        >you can on the other MTA rail lines.
        >
        >I hope to ride it next week. Unfortunately it doesn't help me go
        >anywhere I usually go, but it seems to be helping lots of others.
        >
        >--Claude, car-free in L.A.

        This thing reminds me of the busways in Ottawa, basically a still born rail
        project.
        They could have at least used trolley buses for it.

        Take care, Andrew