Recent developments in Tram-Freight

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2005
      Hi,

      This is partly a follow-up to earlier discussions on
      the Carfree Cities list about supercapacitors powering
      catenary-free rail vehicles, a discussion (?) of the
      Dresden tram-freight system and the Metro-Freight
      section of "Carfree Cities", starting on pg. 199. I
      will include all relevant links.

      The first modern tram-freight system started in 2000
      in Dresden. It (ironically) carries parts for a VW
      luxury SUV to a facility in the centre of Dresden.

      See:
      <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/CarGoTram_(Dresden)>,
      which is in German OR if you go through the links
      starting at
      <http://www.proaktiva.ch/tram/zurich/cargotram.html>,
      which is about the expanding Zurich trash tram (in
      English)you will be able to find info about the
      Dresden scheme in English.

      Another scheme, for which you can find
      English-language info through the www.proaktiva.ch
      site is <http://www.gueterbim.at/> for the system
      started in Vienna (in German).

      Finally, there is the following, from
      <http://www.proaktiva.ch/tram/zurich/newslog/newslog.html#210605>
      about a possible tram-freight scheme in Den Haag (The
      Hague).

      I would just search the term "cargo" on the
      www.proactiva.ch site.

      ---

      This is a PDF with the Zurich recycling train
      schedule, including a cute graphic:
      <http://www3.stzh.ch/internet/erz/home.ParagraphContainerList.ParagraphAdditionalInfo.ParagraphList.0009.File.pdf/32027_Flyer_Cargo_Tram.pdf>

      ---

      This is a nice long article about the Dresden scheme.
      <http://www.morgenwelt.de/futureframe/010521-cargotram.htm>

      ---

      Finally, there is a Yahoo! Group about tram-freight
      (in German): <http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/cgtr/>

      ---

      All these Western cities are trying different
      things... none seem to use standard shipping
      containers (not sure why, too wide?). All stay on the
      rails or a siding; no one is trying out "T. van Popta"
      scheme mentioned on pg. 204 of "Carfree Cities",which
      uses (retractable?) rubber tyres to get to its final
      destination.

      It would be great if everyone could figure out a
      standard design to cut costs!

      As a cyclist, I actually dont mind trams and
      tramtracks too much because I know exactly where they
      are. But alot of sidings would create problems for
      cyclists, might need extra catenary (unless system
      from trolley-buses is used), so would cost a lot.
      Rubber tyres would be advantageous as they are very
      flexible. The hybrid steel/rubber cargo-tram could
      unload and load anywhere, as long as there are no
      steep hills or tight corners.

      This would all be an interesting logistics
      challenge... but isnt that what supercomputers are
      for?

      Maybe it is not that hard to do.

      Any new system of lightrail is a great place to
      implement this. It might even make it more financially
      viable if cargo can also use "expensive" lightrail
      infrstructure.

      Todd,
      Green Idea Factory