Re: [carfree_cities] Logistics in the carfree city

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2000
      Wade said:

      >My personal and professional recommendation would be to design
      >streets in all but the totally pedestrianised areas of the city the old-
      >fashioned, traditional way, with clearly defined carriageways and
      >sidewalks. This allows people in or on vehicles to abide by the
      >clear rules of road sharing that apply to vehicles and it allows the
      >pedestrians to, well, just be pedestrians! It would also allow people
      >on bicycles (sorry about so selfishly thinking of myself here!) to
      >ride at much more reasonable and enjoyable speeds.

      I'm not sure on this point. It attracted some discussion while I
      was in Boston. It seems clear that the 33 meter central boulevard
      should provide for high-speed bicycle travel. It seems equally clear
      that streets under about 5 meters that there's simply no room for
      fast biking (although maybe slow, if people would really do it).
      Between 33 meters and 5 meters, there's a lot of room for discussion.
      I hate curbs for the mobility problems they impose on so many people.
      They're really there for two reasons: channel storm water to a drain,
      and keep the cars where they belong (which they don't always do).

      You can channel the water in very flat V's, with drains at the
      bottom of the V, of course.

      If there are no cars, then do you want any curbs? Venice has none.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_ ISBN 9057270374
      postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com