Re: (hazard avoidance)

  • mauk_mcamuk
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 13, 2005
      Heh. A valid point, and proof (as if traffic jams aren't enough)
      that adequate infrastructure is needed for any city design. Sadly,
      current car-using cities are usually woefully lacking in transport
      infrastructure, but given the limitations/requirements of the
      automobile, cannot be readily improved.

      One of the great strengths of the Carfree reference design is the
      fact that (as Mr. Crawford notes) the transportation infrastructure
      is heavily overbuilt for most city sizes, a very rare and enviable
      state of affairs compared to the miserably crowded highways we suffer
      with today. In my mind, this is the greatest "selling point of the
      concept, the ability to improve infrastructure over current systems,
      which translates directly into quality of life improvements.

      But, back to the "bombs on trains" question, the sense I get from the
      various responses is "deal with it, its going to be minor."

      Hey, a perfectly reasonable response. :) Although the discussion of
      line layout was fascinating, as it usually is. :)