Oil from sand a booming commodity

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2005
      Black gold? I call it black heroin....

      The following appeared on Boston.com:
      Headline: Oil from sand a booming commodity
      Date: October 9, 2005

      "FORT McMURRAY, ALBERTA -- A mud-caked dump truck taller than a
      two-story house rumbled into a vast mining pit and stopped next to an
      excavator so large that it could deposit a load in the seats above
      Fenway Park's Green Monster. Four shuddering drops from the excavator's
      shovel filled the truck's bed with 400 tons of tarry sands before it
      ..."

      To see this recommendation, click on the link below or cut and paste it
      into a Web browser:

      http://www.boston.com:80/business/articles/2005/10/09/oil_from_sand_a_booming_commodity

      This message was sent by Richard [mailto:rickrise@...]
      through Boston.com's email recommendation service. If you have questions
      or comments about this free service, please email us at feedback@....
    • mauk_mcamuk
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2005
        > Black gold? I call it black heroin....

        Absolutely.

        Everyone seems to think we are running out of oil. And yes, the
        supply of light sweet crude is growing smaller.

        What few people seem to realize is that we have access to HUGE
        resources of fossil fuels. As prices go up and we can devote more
        money to lifting costs, the heavier, nastier types of oil and other
        fossil fuels out there are going to start getting used, and we have
        just ridiculous amounts of those. A trillion barrels of oil sand in
        Canada, perhaps two trillion barrels of ultraheavy crude and oil
        sands in Venezuela, probably a trillion barrels of sour heavy and
        ultraheavy crude in Saudi Arabia, the unholy amount of stranded
        natural gas under Qatar, the trillions of tons of coal and lignite in
        the USA, China, and Russia, the 4 trillion or more barrels of shale
        oil in the USA, etc, etc, etc.

        The problem isn't that we're running out, the problem is that we have
        way, way too much of this nasty stuff we can dig up if we try hard
        enough.

        We need to show people a better alternative than cars, and move away
        from fossil fuels for electricity, and sooner rather than later.
        It's becoming rather urgent. :(

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard <rickrise@e...> wrote:

        > Black gold? I call it black heroin....

        > The following appeared on Boston.com:
        > Headline: Oil from sand a booming commodity
        > Date: October 9, 2005
        >
        > "FORT McMURRAY, ALBERTA -- A mud-caked dump truck taller than a
        > two-story house rumbled into a vast mining pit and stopped next to
        an
        > excavator so large that it could deposit a load in the seats above
        > Fenway Park's Green Monster. Four shuddering drops from the
        excavator's
        > shovel filled the truck's bed with 400 tons of tarry sands before it
        > ..."
        >
        > To see this recommendation, click on the link below or cut and
        paste it
        > into a Web browser:

        http://www.boston.com:80/business/articles/2005/10/09/oil_from_sand_a_
        booming_commodity

        > This message was sent by Richard [mailto:rickrise@e...]
        > through Boston.com's email recommendation service. If you have
        questions
        > or comments about this free service, please email us at
        feedback@b...

      • Jason Meggs
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2005
          Yes, there's lots left to burn, and it will burn much worse than what came
          before (if it is burned).

          Let us not discount the effect of the supply of petroleum shrinking (and
          perpetually shrinking) for the first time in history. It's not that oil
          is running out, it's that collapse begins for the world (with or without
          the harder to utilize sources still lying in the ground). Yes, collapse
          can mean transformation -- painful and theoretical though it may be -- to
          something far better. And techno-fixes may somehow prolong the consumer
          economy until some other resource runs so low as to precipitate collapse
          (which may be far worse for all concerned in the long run).

          We can always hope, and work for the best while preparing for the worst,
          but the shrinking of cheap energy supplies which the world consumer
          economies and life support for our overpopulated planet depend on is
          really something to take seriously!

          Jason

        • mauk_mcamuk
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2005
            Er?

            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Jason Meggs <jmeggs@b...>
            wrote:

            > Yes, there's lots left to burn, and it will burn much worse than
            what came
            > before (if it is burned).

            Very true.

            > Let us not discount the effect of the supply of petroleum shrinking
            (and
            > perpetually shrinking) for the first time in history.

            This is a misconception. The supply of "petroleum" has, by
            definition, been shrinking since the first time we sank a well. The
            simple fact that the supply is shrinking is neither new or ominous.

            As a note, petroleum is a very broad term. We have a current crunch
            in refinery capacity, and an incipient problem in light sweet crude
            supplies. Light sweet crude, sour heavy crude, bitumen, various
            grades of coal, methane, and kerogen we have in varying amounts
            ranging from "tight" to "vast."

            >It's not that oil
            > is running out, it's that collapse begins for the world (with or
            without
            > the harder to utilize sources still lying in the ground).

            How do you go from shrinking supply (which by definition has been the
            case for a century or more) to beginning collapse? Continuation of
            Western culture simply means we have to build new infrastructure.
            The supply of various energy sources is nowhere near depletion.
            Heck, look at windmills. :)

            Building new infrastructure is an opportunity to incorporate carfree
            principals into that new "stuff."

            Sadly, I worry that we'll just build new refinereries incorporating
            FT digesters and just switch to the yuckier but far more abundant
            fossil fuels we have available. :(

            We should keep pushing on carbon-neutral power supplies in all cases,
            and work to get all externalized costs banned.