Re: [carfree_cities] Communities working for change.

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
      > Joel told me he doesn't plan to turn his (very informative)
      > web site into a community-driven web site, not for the time
      > being.

      =v= Um, isn't that what this email list is for? And if a web
      "community" is what floats one's boat, this list is that, too:

      <_Jym_>
    • Thomas C
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
        being carfree might be your way to change the world, but it's not the only
        one...
        for others it might involve terrorism, working on nanotechnologies,
        becoming vegetarian, going to war for oil, growing your own food or shopping
        for new clothes (not sure they all fit in with wechange's editorial line).
        thomas

        On 10/3/05, Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

        > > Joel told me he doesn't plan to turn his (very informative)
        > > web site into a community-driven web site, not for the time
        > > being.
        >
        > =v= Um, isn't that what this email list is for? And if a web
        > "community" is what floats one's boat, this list is that, too:

        > <_Jym_>
        >

        > Post messages to: carfree_cities@...
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Anguo
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
          On Tuesday 04 October 2005 03:55 pm, Thomas C wrote:
          > being carfree might be your way to change the world, but
          > it's not the only one...
          >  for others it might involve terrorism, working on
          > nanotechnologies, becoming vegetarian, going to war for
          > oil, growing your own food or shopping for new clothes
          > (not sure they all fit in with wechange's editorial
          > line). thomas

          Thank you Thomas,

          Starting a nuclear war would be another way to change the
          world... but obviously, that's not the kind of change we
          are talking about. ;-)

          I'd like to clarify a few things, first about the carfree
          movement, then about the role www.wechange.org can play in
          relation to that movement.

          So, first about the carfree movement, I am very happy that
          this discussion group (carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com) and
          the site www.carfree.com exist, and I hope both will carry
          on prospering.

          Recently, for obvious reasons, New Orleans has been much
          talked about (so much that some interesting information
          about Pasto, Columbia, has been barely noticed on this
          list). Obviously, I approve very much of what you are
          trying to achieve and I wish you a lot of success.

          Yet, do you know all the other communities within the
          carfree movement working on a carfree/car-light plan for
          New Orleans? I'm sure you are aware of the listserv at
          www.worldcarfree.net because a few members from this
          community also contribute there.
          Are there others?
          And most importantly, what about all the people who are not
          active on this issue, but who would show you their support
          when it counts (when it comes to voting for example, or
          showing up at some event, or... simply living what we
          preach)?

          There is a need for a way to connect all those people
          together, and www.wechange.org proposes to be part of that
          way.

          To the people who already registered on the new site, here
          is a little practical note.
          The page below has been updated:
          http://www.wechange.org/book/positive_action/carfree_cities
          The main point of the site is to connect people and provide
          information on a broad range of topics, while making sure
          that the information on a specific topic is still easily
          accessible.
          So, make sure you list the cities you live/have lived/know
          within your profile, and when contributing a new blog/forum
          entry, write the topic and the geographical relevance as
          appropriate, as explained in more details in the page
          above.
          (and thanks for joining)

          I'm coming now to the wider issue, the relation between the
          carfree movement, the new site wechange and the much wider
          community working for change.

          The thing is, we are all working separately, in small groups
          isolated from each other. United, we have a better chance
          to achieve something. People in this discussion group know
          a lot about the benefits of carfree cities, but certainly,
          you all have other interests, may they be Human Rights,
          Organic food or spiritual inner development...

          You may well know about better urban design, but probably
          many of you have never heard of issues related to voting
          systems and know little or nothing about Approval Voting,
          Condorcet Voting, etc... Yet, if you knew what others know
          on those different topics, maybe you'd feel those are also
          topics worth understanding, too.

          To take the the USA as an example. It is said that there are
          over 50 millions "cultural creatives" in that country, i.e.
          a number of people important enough to create a huge,
          peaceful revolution to change our current society and
          create a new civilization, with proper (carfree) urban
          design, healthy organic food at every meal, living in peace
          and harmony, etc... (well, at least such is the dream, with
          some variations according to who is dreaming...).

          www.Wechange.org aims to be a kind of meta-community,
          reuniting such people so that the small group of
          individuals promotting carfree urban design can reach out
          to others who would be interested but who hadn't considered
          this topic so far. So, instead of exclusively preaching to
          the choir within each little community of people more or
          less in agreement on a specific topic, the "cultural
          creatives" or "change enablers" would get to preach to
          other "cultural creatives" who could be easily "converted",
          i.e. convinced that, say, carfree cities or electoral
          reform are indeed worthy topics.

          Yet, it doesn't mean that smaller, more narrowly focussed
          communities are useless. Far from it! www.Wechange.org is
          not a replacement for this or any other communities. We
          still need plenty of other websites and communities with
          more detailed information on each topic. Wechange aims to
          be a kind of a grand gathering of people who dream of a
          future that will be "better" than today, and who work (both
          within themselves and within their local community) to
          create that future.

          The topics covered by wechange is wide-ranging, so
          disagreements are bound to appear, but that's ok as long as
          people stay away from verbal abuse and accept differences
          and limit themselves to stating their opinion on each
          topic, while making it clear that it is just that, an
          opinion.
          Wechange is not a place to "sale" your opinion, but a place
          to share your ideals with a wider community, and a place to
          listen to others.

          I wouldn't want to abuse of the opportunity that has been
          given to me to speak to you. My purpose is not to "sale"
          the new website, but just to share my dream, and introduce
          you to a new tool for change. Feel free to ignore the site
          if such is your will. :-) Rest assured that some of my
          personal goals are perfectly compatible with yours
          (healthier living environment).

          Thank you for your attention.

          Augustin.

          --
          http://www.wechange.org/
          Because we and the world need to change.

          http://www.reuniting.info/
          Intimate Relationships, peace and harmony in the couple.

          http://www.gnosis-usa.com/
          Revolutionary Psychology, White Tantrism, Dream Yoga...

          http://www.masquilier.org/
          Condorcet, Approval alternative, better voting methods.
        • Doug Salzmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
            On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Thomas C wrote:

            > being carfree might be your way to change the world, but it's not the only
            > one...

            Please be assured, Thomas, that absolutely everyone here knows that the
            world needs to be changed in all sorts of ways. It just happens that
            *this* forum is about carfree cities, and discussion here is conducted
            along lines established by the group's founder.

            We are *not* going to have an online argument about those facts of life.
            There are innumerable other places to have other discussions.

            -Doug

            Doug Salzmann
            P.O. Box 1007
            Larkspur, CA 94977