Communities working for change.

  • Anguo
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hello,

      I've been following the discussion here for a few weeks.

      Joel told me he doesn't plan to turn his (very informative)
      web site into a community-driven web site, not for the time
      being.

      I therefore wanted to introduce you to a new website,
      www.wechange.org, which is community driven, with a much
      wider focus, but with an embryo of a section about carfree
      cities. See here:
      http://www.wechange.org/book/positive_action/carfree_cities

      You are welcome to contribute there.

      That site is a complementary tool to carfree.org and this
      discussion group. The tools used (drupal) allow us to
      easily classify all the information so that present and
      future visitors will be able to find the information they
      look for rapidly.

      Just post reviews of other relevant web sites, summaries of
      actions being taken in different cities around the world,
      etc...

      The site aims to be a complete set of tools to unify
      disparate communities around the world working for change.

      Thank you for everything you already do.

      Augustin.

      --
      http://www.wechange.org/
      Because we and the world need to change.

      http://www.reuniting.info/
      Intimate Relationships, peace and harmony in the couple.

      http://www.gnosis-usa.com/
      Revolutionary Psychology, White Tantrism, Dream Yoga...

      http://www.masquilier.org/
      Condorcet, Approval alternative, better voting methods.
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
        > Joel told me he doesn't plan to turn his (very informative)
        > web site into a community-driven web site, not for the time
        > being.

        =v= Um, isn't that what this email list is for? And if a web
        "community" is what floats one's boat, this list is that, too:

        <_Jym_>
      • Thomas C
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
          being carfree might be your way to change the world, but it's not the only
          one...
          for others it might involve terrorism, working on nanotechnologies,
          becoming vegetarian, going to war for oil, growing your own food or shopping
          for new clothes (not sure they all fit in with wechange's editorial line).
          thomas

          On 10/3/05, Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

          > > Joel told me he doesn't plan to turn his (very informative)
          > > web site into a community-driven web site, not for the time
          > > being.
          >
          > =v= Um, isn't that what this email list is for? And if a web
          > "community" is what floats one's boat, this list is that, too:

          > <_Jym_>
          >

          > Post messages to: carfree_cities@...
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Anguo
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
            On Tuesday 04 October 2005 03:55 pm, Thomas C wrote:
            > being carfree might be your way to change the world, but
            > it's not the only one...
            >  for others it might involve terrorism, working on
            > nanotechnologies, becoming vegetarian, going to war for
            > oil, growing your own food or shopping for new clothes
            > (not sure they all fit in with wechange's editorial
            > line). thomas

            Thank you Thomas,

            Starting a nuclear war would be another way to change the
            world... but obviously, that's not the kind of change we
            are talking about. ;-)

            I'd like to clarify a few things, first about the carfree
            movement, then about the role www.wechange.org can play in
            relation to that movement.

            So, first about the carfree movement, I am very happy that
            this discussion group (carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com) and
            the site www.carfree.com exist, and I hope both will carry
            on prospering.

            Recently, for obvious reasons, New Orleans has been much
            talked about (so much that some interesting information
            about Pasto, Columbia, has been barely noticed on this
            list). Obviously, I approve very much of what you are
            trying to achieve and I wish you a lot of success.

            Yet, do you know all the other communities within the
            carfree movement working on a carfree/car-light plan for
            New Orleans? I'm sure you are aware of the listserv at
            www.worldcarfree.net because a few members from this
            community also contribute there.
            Are there others?
            And most importantly, what about all the people who are not
            active on this issue, but who would show you their support
            when it counts (when it comes to voting for example, or
            showing up at some event, or... simply living what we
            preach)?

            There is a need for a way to connect all those people
            together, and www.wechange.org proposes to be part of that
            way.

            To the people who already registered on the new site, here
            is a little practical note.
            The page below has been updated:
            http://www.wechange.org/book/positive_action/carfree_cities
            The main point of the site is to connect people and provide
            information on a broad range of topics, while making sure
            that the information on a specific topic is still easily
            accessible.
            So, make sure you list the cities you live/have lived/know
            within your profile, and when contributing a new blog/forum
            entry, write the topic and the geographical relevance as
            appropriate, as explained in more details in the page
            above.
            (and thanks for joining)

            I'm coming now to the wider issue, the relation between the
            carfree movement, the new site wechange and the much wider
            community working for change.

            The thing is, we are all working separately, in small groups
            isolated from each other. United, we have a better chance
            to achieve something. People in this discussion group know
            a lot about the benefits of carfree cities, but certainly,
            you all have other interests, may they be Human Rights,
            Organic food or spiritual inner development...

            You may well know about better urban design, but probably
            many of you have never heard of issues related to voting
            systems and know little or nothing about Approval Voting,
            Condorcet Voting, etc... Yet, if you knew what others know
            on those different topics, maybe you'd feel those are also
            topics worth understanding, too.

            To take the the USA as an example. It is said that there are
            over 50 millions "cultural creatives" in that country, i.e.
            a number of people important enough to create a huge,
            peaceful revolution to change our current society and
            create a new civilization, with proper (carfree) urban
            design, healthy organic food at every meal, living in peace
            and harmony, etc... (well, at least such is the dream, with
            some variations according to who is dreaming...).

            www.Wechange.org aims to be a kind of meta-community,
            reuniting such people so that the small group of
            individuals promotting carfree urban design can reach out
            to others who would be interested but who hadn't considered
            this topic so far. So, instead of exclusively preaching to
            the choir within each little community of people more or
            less in agreement on a specific topic, the "cultural
            creatives" or "change enablers" would get to preach to
            other "cultural creatives" who could be easily "converted",
            i.e. convinced that, say, carfree cities or electoral
            reform are indeed worthy topics.

            Yet, it doesn't mean that smaller, more narrowly focussed
            communities are useless. Far from it! www.Wechange.org is
            not a replacement for this or any other communities. We
            still need plenty of other websites and communities with
            more detailed information on each topic. Wechange aims to
            be a kind of a grand gathering of people who dream of a
            future that will be "better" than today, and who work (both
            within themselves and within their local community) to
            create that future.

            The topics covered by wechange is wide-ranging, so
            disagreements are bound to appear, but that's ok as long as
            people stay away from verbal abuse and accept differences
            and limit themselves to stating their opinion on each
            topic, while making it clear that it is just that, an
            opinion.
            Wechange is not a place to "sale" your opinion, but a place
            to share your ideals with a wider community, and a place to
            listen to others.

            I wouldn't want to abuse of the opportunity that has been
            given to me to speak to you. My purpose is not to "sale"
            the new website, but just to share my dream, and introduce
            you to a new tool for change. Feel free to ignore the site
            if such is your will. :-) Rest assured that some of my
            personal goals are perfectly compatible with yours
            (healthier living environment).

            Thank you for your attention.

            Augustin.

            --
            http://www.wechange.org/
            Because we and the world need to change.

            http://www.reuniting.info/
            Intimate Relationships, peace and harmony in the couple.

            http://www.gnosis-usa.com/
            Revolutionary Psychology, White Tantrism, Dream Yoga...

            http://www.masquilier.org/
            Condorcet, Approval alternative, better voting methods.
          • Doug Salzmann
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
              On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Thomas C wrote:

              > being carfree might be your way to change the world, but it's not the only
              > one...

              Please be assured, Thomas, that absolutely everyone here knows that the
              world needs to be changed in all sorts of ways. It just happens that
              *this* forum is about carfree cities, and discussion here is conducted
              along lines established by the group's founder.

              We are *not* going to have an online argument about those facts of life.
              There are innumerable other places to have other discussions.

              -Doug

              Doug Salzmann
              P.O. Box 1007
              Larkspur, CA 94977