Re: [carfree_cities] New Orleans enlists VIPs for rebuilding , etc

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2005
      Todd said,

      >Pres Kabacoff, a prominent developer known for using
      >mixed-income housing to reclaim historic neighborhoods
      >that have fallen on hard times, are convinced that New
      >Orleans must be transformed into a smaller, more dense
      >city thick with 10- and 15-story apartment buildings
      >built around historic places.
      >
      >[What is density of destroyied neighborhoods? I cant
      >imagine this guy "reclaims" historic neighborhoods
      >with elevators...]

      Sure, French elevators from the late 19th century.
      They work for three weeks in each leap year. ;-)

      Still, it's interesting that they're even talking about
      this. Of course, if they made the place carfree, then
      they could have 4-5 story apartments, narrow streets,
      and no parking. (They will be using surface parking for
      their towers buildings, or maybe above-ground garages,
      but in NOLA they are not likely to put their garages
      underground. If they go the route that Kabacoff proposes,
      they will completely destroy the charm of the city.

      This Kabacoff fellow is actually a rather interesting
      fellow--Google him.

      Regards,