New Orleans enlists VIPs for rebuilding , etc

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2005
      New Orleans enlists VIPs for rebuilding -
      Mayor's 17-person advisory board has array of civic
      leaders

      <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/01/MNGG9F0V651.DTL>

      Excerpt:

      Pres Kabacoff, a prominent developer known for using
      mixed-income housing to reclaim historic neighborhoods
      that have fallen on hard times, are convinced that New
      Orleans must be transformed into a smaller, more dense
      city thick with 10- and 15-story apartment buildings
      built around historic places.

      [What is density of destroyied neighborhoods? I cant
      imagine this guy "reclaims" historic neighborhoods
      with elevators...]

      Todd, Green Idea Factory

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2005
        Todd said,

        >Pres Kabacoff, a prominent developer known for using
        >mixed-income housing to reclaim historic neighborhoods
        >that have fallen on hard times, are convinced that New
        >Orleans must be transformed into a smaller, more dense
        >city thick with 10- and 15-story apartment buildings
        >built around historic places.
        >
        >[What is density of destroyied neighborhoods? I cant
        >imagine this guy "reclaims" historic neighborhoods
        >with elevators...]

        Sure, French elevators from the late 19th century.
        They work for three weeks in each leap year. ;-)

        Still, it's interesting that they're even talking about
        this. Of course, if they made the place carfree, then
        they could have 4-5 story apartments, narrow streets,
        and no parking. (They will be using surface parking for
        their towers buildings, or maybe above-ground garages,
        but in NOLA they are not likely to put their garages
        underground. If they go the route that Kabacoff proposes,
        they will completely destroy the charm of the city.

        This Kabacoff fellow is actually a rather interesting
        fellow--Google him.

        Regards,