Walking Moscow

  • Andie Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      September 21, 2005
      latimes.com

      On Moscow's Mean Streets, Every Automobile Is a Dodge
      A campaign is underway in Russia's capital to try to get lead-footed drivers
      to do the unthinkable: yield to pedestrians.

      By Kim Murphy, Times Staff Writer

      MOSCOW - On the streets of Russia's capital, it is the loser who ventures
      out without a weapon.

      Once the armament of choice was a small Lada. These days, it's likely to be
      a 3-ton Mercedes. Yet the dynamics of battle remain the same: The front
      bumper trumps the pedestrian, who is sent somersaulting over the hood almost
      every time.

      So frequently do automobiles and pedestrians come into contact that a body
      at the side of the road covered with an overcoat barely draws a crowd.
      Elderly women, faced with a green crossing light, break into clumsy sprints
      with the help of their canes; students gather in packs like nervous gazelles
      before dashing across crosswalks in carefully timed streaks.

      Last year, 34,506 people were killed and a quarter of a million injured in
      road accidents in Russia - nearly double the rate in the U.S. In Moscow
      alone, more than 14 cars a day hit pedestrians; 300 have died this year.
      Officials estimate that road accidents cost the nation 2.5% of its gross
      domestic product in lost worker productivity last year.

      The urban toll has prompted a rare bout of self-reflection among some
      drivers and a national campaign to promote courtesy toward the foot-bound.
      Last week, Moscow traffic police and a coalition of city newspapers began
      passing out windshield stickers bearing the zebra-like crossing symbol and
      the words "I Let Pedestrians Pass."

      Pedestrians who use only crosswalks and underpasses, as opposed to wading
      defiantly through six or more lanes of moving traffic, will be eligible for
      stickers of their own.

      "An attempt to cross a busy street in Moscow at an unlighted pedestrian
      crossing is a life-threatening experience for any pedestrian," said
      Vyacheslav Lysakov, head of the motorists movement Freedom of Choice, one of
      several organizations promoting the initiative. "It is high time our drivers
      realize that pedestrians crossing streets are not crazy hares to be hunted
      down and run over, but our children, our wives, mothers, relatives and
      friends, that are an equal party in a Moscow street, who have their rights."

      The campaign has elicited a fair amount of grumbling on the part of Moscow
      drivers, some of whom argue that slowing down for pedestrians puts drivers
      at risk of being rear-ended.

      "I would like to be polite and considerate and generous. I would love to let
      the pedestrian pass by me. But who can guarantee that the back of my car
      will not be smashed the next minute, if I stop?" said Galina Konova, who has
      driven a taxi in Moscow for 32 years. "I may even be doing him a disservice
      if I let him pass my car, because the other cars will simply speed up and
      hit him.

      "You see, it's a matter of hatred," she added. "Both drivers and pedestrians
      simply have no respect for each other. And it's not all the drivers' fault.
      You see a pedestrian, he runs into the street, you stop your car suddenly
      and almost crash, and he suddenly comes to a stop, turns around and runs
      back!"

      "Imagine it's at night," said popular NTV host Vladimir Solovyov. "The road
      is not lighted, and some drunk guy is dancing his little tap dance. He's in
      the road, now he's back on the curb, now he's back in the road again. The
      whole traffic should stop and wait for him to make up his mind?"

      Pedestrians counter that to venture into Moscow's streets is to walk without
      even minimal dignity, not to mention safety. A woman trying to cross, they
      say, is often subjected to a Soviet-era invective: "You cow!" a driver will
      shout out his window. "This is a car! It doesn't copulate, it kills!"

      Pedestrians develop their own survival techniques. Few will venture into a
      crosswalk without an obvious invitation. Even then, they usually step
      suspiciously onto the field of battle, like mice in a roomful of cats.

      "Half the time, people speed up instead of stopping," complained Sophia
      Konavalova, 56, a cleaning woman who was gathering petunia seeds on an
      island in the middle of a downtown boulevard last week, near where a wreath
      lay - 10 feet inside the curb - for a fallen pedestrian.

      "In general, there is no respect for human life in this country," she said.
      "The driver's position is, 'I'm in a hurry, I need to get there whatever
      happens, I have no time for you.' And it's not only the pedestrians who die.
      I go walking in the street at 6 in the morning, and you see cars smashed to
      smithereens all over."

      Police say the fines for ignoring crosswalks - about $3 - are so low that
      the "I Let Pedestrians Pass" windshield signs are unlikely to help.

      "It's too late to teach them anything. We should fine them. We should punish
      them," said a traffic warrant officer working the main Moscow ring road last
      week who gave only his first name, Ilya. "Not only does no one ever stop for
      pedestrians, they honk at them."

      But pedestrians, he said, also share in the blame. Many cross mid-block, far
      from any designated crosswalks. "Naturally, that creates a dangerous
      situation," he said. "It's car against man, and you know who loses."

      http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-traffic21sep21,1,2266454
      .story