Re: [carfree_cities] Fwd: "Lessons From Katrina" - New VTPI Paper

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 8:30 AM
      =v= I know of several "community bike" efforts that are fixing
      up bikes to send to the hurricane-stricken regions. There are
      efforts that collect unused (or junked) bicycles and make them
      rideable, generally training young people in bike mechanic
      skills along the way.

      =v= American teevee news prattles on and on about how so few
      gas stations are operating, so people can't drive. Community
      bikes are offering a real solution, and demand is great.

      =v= Here's a network of some U.S. community bike efforts:

      http://communitybicyclenetwork.org/

      This isn't comprehensive, though. You could do a web search to
      find such an effort local to you, and see if you can help them.
      <_Jym_>