Re: Arctic ice 'disappearing fast'

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2005
      Another positive feedback that is predicted to occur in the Arctic is
      the release of methane gas from the thawing of the permafrost region.
      Methane is an even more powerful greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide
      and the more methane that's released, the warmer the atmosphere could
      Troubling Signs of Climate Change Seen in Arctic

      Effects of Global Warming Evident, As Polar Ice Cap Melts
      Sep. 27, 2005 - This season has ushered in the warmest Arctic summer
      in 400 years. A NASA report to be released this week finds the polar
      ice pack has shrunk by nearly 30 percent since 1978, and new
      satellite photos show the melting is speeding up.

      Scientists say the Arctic may be caught in a vicious cycle of global
      warming. As ice melts, there's less white matter to reflect the sun's
      heat back into space. The dark ocean absorbs more of the sun's heat
      and that, in turn, melts more of the ice pack.

      ABC News traveled to the northern tip of America – Point Barrow,
      Alaska – to document the other dramatic effects of global warming.

      During the summer, people who live in the region have a practice of
      storing whale meat in ice cellars dug into the permanently frozen
      ground. But when whale hunter Eugene Brower took an ABC News crew to
      see his, he was shocked by what he found.

      "The skin and blubber should be frozen!" he said. "It's thawing out."

      Typically in the Arctic, any ground deeper than about four feet has
      always been frozen. But the permafrost is now starting to melt.

      At Point Barrow, the northernmost tip of the United States is melting
      as well.

      "The bluff edge was out there by about 150 feet or so just 10 years
      ago," said scientist Ann Jensen.

      Since melting permafrost leaves the ground soft and with far less
      frozen surface to block the waves, the water carves away at it. Old
      graves are tumbling into the sea.

      "They keep getting exposed," said Jensen. "People don't really want
      to see their ancestors getting washed into the ocean."

      People, Animals Forced to Relocate
      Whole villages are tumbling into the ocean, forcing people to
      relocate -- as well as many animals.

      Black guillemots began nesting this far north 40 years ago, when
      temperatures started to rise.

      Now scientists are watching the birds get driven out by puffins,
      warmer weather birds from the sub-Arctic, which kill the chicks and
      take over the nests.

      "Yesterday, it's the Arctic, and now suddenly, it's turning into the
      sub-Arctic!" said biologist George Divoky.

      As the sea ice disappears, many polar bears are starving because they
      must have sea ice on which to hunt.

      And the culture of local residents, whose life has centered upon
      hunting on the ice, is changing as well.

      "It's often too dangerous now, due to the thin ice," said Fred Simik,
      an Inupiat native.

      Another cause for worry: scientists report that as the permafrost
      melts and this vast Arctic tundra dries up, decaying plants in the
      soil are releasing increased amounts of carbon – a greenhouse gas
      that only adds to the warming and melting.

      "Humans are putting about 6 [billion] or 7 billion metric tons of
      carbon in the atmosphere every year," said biologist Walter Oechel,
      director of the Global Change Research Institute at San Diego State
      University. "And we're standing on 200 billion tons here," he added,
      pointing to the tundra.

      Just how soon that carbon may get released is unclear. But those who
      live in the area have moved on from the debate about whether global
      warming is real. They're living with it.

      ABC News' Bill Blakemore filed this report for "World News Tonight."

      Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Todd Edelman
      new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com