Re: has anyone thought...

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 28, 2005
      Yes. It's too bad more people aren't being more proactive about
      global warming these days. Global warming will inevitably
      negatively impact everyone and everyone's future, and we need to
      begin doing things (or not doing things) that will begin to slow it
      down, now.

      But most of us continue to say global warming is such and such's
      responsibility; "it's not up to us"! The result is that we're all
      getting deeper and deeper into trouble with Mother Nature, just like
      what happened to the people who once lived in New Orleans, before
      Katrina.

      So we can either wait and see how bad things become for us, our
      families and our next of kin; or we can stand up now and do something
      about it. Standing up and voicing one's concerns about global
      warming is not an easy thing to do, but once you do it, it becomes
      easier.

      I personally raised the issue of global warming and that we should be
      acting more proactively in my workplace, my church, my family, my
      neighborhood my community, and to all my duly elected government
      officials, in May 2000. One of my brothers, who use to work for the
      National Weather Service no less, did the same thing back in early
      2000. It was much harder to speak out then because fewer people had
      heard much about the climate being a problem back then, and those who
      had were convinced it was not that big of a problem to concern
      themselves with. But they were wrong, of course.

      However there are still far too many people in the U.S. who are still
      not standing up and speaking out about the crisis that is emerging
      and getting worse. Maybe the fallout from Katrina will give them a
      bit of a nudge?

      We in the U.S. know that our government did not always tell the truth
      to us about the situation in Iraq, whether misinforming us was
      intentionally or not. Global warming is a similar situation in that
      respect. The upper level officials in NOAA and the National Weather
      Service are the most culpable for the darth of knowledge most
      Americans have had about global warming, and their laize-fare
      approach to this crisis. The major mass media are similarly at
      fault.

      As for the reason behind Katrina being so destructive, it is a fact
      that the warmer than usual waters in the Gulf of Mexico the past
      summer contributed to the intensity of both hurricanes. Katrina and
      Rita grew into much more powerful hurricanes than they would have
      become otherwise had it not been for global warming, which no doubt
      contributed to the warmer than normal seas.

      In fact, NOAA's climate data published September 15 shows that the
      temperatures of the oceans (at 2 ft. above the surface) reached their
      highest level on record in August. NOAA alarms on global warming
      remained silent.

      So what should we the people do?

      ACTIONS, ACTIONS, ACTIONS are what is needed to reduce greenhouse
      gases, in addition to more research. Ask your city or local
      government if they have a plan to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG)
      emissions. Ask them if they have ever heard of Car-Free Cities.

      If they don't have an GHG reduction "action plan", demand they
      produce one. But demand they not wait for completion of the plan
      before they start taking actions.

      The same goes for your county, your state government our federal
      government. Every jurisdiction should have a GHG emissions reduction
      plan, which has as its core objectives minimizing annual GHG
      emissions and adapting to future climate changes brought on by global
      warming.

      The disaster that happened in New Orleans from the failure of the
      levees due to Hurricane Katrina was predicted well in advance. It
      was the failure of the authorities to take action that lead to the
      demise of much of the city.

      The same thing is happening right now with regard to global warming.
      Warming is occurring all around us and the costs of continuing to
      burn fossil fuels in increasing amounts could be thousands of times
      greater than the damages that occurred in the Gulf region from
      Katrina and Rita. We need to act now.

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Dawson"
      <m82a1_dawson@h...> wrote:
      > Mike Neuman wrote:
      > >People aren't going to accept higher taxes unless they can see that
      > >they will get something in return.
      >
      > Nice idea, but in the reality the price goes up while the service
      goes down.

      > >This plan would offer monetary
      > >rebates in return for people minimizing their use of personal
      > >automobiles. It would be optional.
      >
      > Automobiles and trucks have a "carte blanc" right now.
      >
      > >Even George W. Bush is now asking people to drive less. I saw him
      > >make that pitch last night on national TV news to ease the demand
      on
      > >oil supplies following the recent hurricanes in the gulf.
      >
      > That's BS, if he were serious about reducing fuel consumption he'd
      either
      > increase taxes or issue ration cards.
      >
      > >But it will take more than a plea from George W. Bush to get people
      > >to reduce the amount of driving they do on an annual basis. My
      plan
      > >would do that.
      >
      > I still think that higher gas taxes or highway tolls with the funds
      > dedicated to transit would help level the transportation playing
      field.

      AND

      > > > Good paper, the only problem is that it returns to much money
      back
      > >to the
      > > > taxpayers.
      > > > "Don't steal, the government doesn't like the competition!"
      > >
      > >The rebate amounts can be adjusted up or down depending on how well
      > >they are working.
      >
      > It's good to be proactive.
      Andrew