Re: [carfree_cities] Crime in the carfree city? Sin in Eden?

  • Martha Torell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2000
      > I'm still not entirely comfortable with the arguments so far in the sense
      > that they are ones I am already familiar with from my own campaigning. e.g.
      > critical masses of people in the streets reduce crime but then did you see
      > and read of events in Central Park a week or so ago when a gang of 50 or 60
      > youths set upon a series of woman amid a crowded festival full of law
      > abiding pedestrians. The video pictures are deeply unsettling and will be
      > used to refute some over-idealistic visions of "carfree" a especially if we
      > haven't thought through the arguments around cause and effect in a scholarly
      > way.

      Video pictures -- exactly. And the video wanted poster has brought in
      at least 15 of the offenders who are going to have a really hard time in
      court protesting that the women were asking for it.

      That video will be for thugs what the Rodney King video was for cops --
      you cannot count on anonymity. If you are in public you may be making a
      record that your great grandchildren will be watching.

      Martha