Re: Deciding Where to Rebuild New Orleans (Only three of us...)

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
      mtneuman said:

      > This tragedy should open up some eyes, I hope, to the impending much
      > more calamitous tragedy of global warming, which threatens us all ...

      Here is a link to a proposal I wrote awhile back for the state which I
      live in (State of Wisconsin) to do its fair share in responding to the
      global warming threat. The mechanics of the proposal could be applied
      elsewhere.

      This is the kind of systems-level economic change that I believe is
      necessary to confront the global warming threat. Among other things,
      it would promote car-free cities by financially rewarding through
      annual monetary incentives ("rebates") individuals and families who
      can show they didn't drive at all over the year, or drove very little.
      This would be verified by using data bases for odometer mileages of
      registered vehicles, drivers license records, insurance company
      records as well as signed certificates.

      The potential rewards ($400 - $1,200/yr.) would have to be enough to
      entice middle income families to drive less; but for families at
      subsistence level - like many of those who live in the New Orleans
      area - they could be the difference between living in a "make" or a
      "break" situation.

      Conserve, NOW!
      http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gMgZQwCnQpDofRIp8vTlF7NdYtC3P0M7ij9oqvgl7k4nwmalWU3xxRQemoWpKVbe81H6ygRpskCiA2v1BS0-4sEhBbgvr_k/ConserveNOW.pdf

      If you can't access it from the above link, you might want to consider
      joining "Climate Change Politics":

      climatechangepolitics@yahoogroups.com
      climatechangepolitics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Below a link to an article posted on the "climatechangepolitics" group
      today by the group owner. Patriot Americans, please consider yourself
      forewarned.

      Mike Neuman

      Katrina comes home to roost
      By Sidney Blumenthal