Re: [carfree_cities] city on "green space"

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
      The Army Corps of Engineers ("USACE"), which is headed by the general in
      question, is operating a toll-free technical suggestion hotline:

      866-531-3001

      Call 'em and leave a message:

      "Your proposal for a 'temporary' city for relocation of evacuees from New
      Orleans is, by far, the most sensible and practical way to begin dealing
      with this issue, and would be the fastest and most cost-effective, as
      well.

      "Certain areas north of Lake Pontchartrain, notably a location NNE of
      Fontainebleau State Park, seem particularly well-suited to this purpose.

      "A compact, multi-use development, designed for easy accessibility by foot
      and public transit, would be the most practicable and affordable way to
      proceed.

      "To discuss this matter further, and to be placed in contact with experts
      who can help implement such a plan, please call or write... "

      ... or somethin' like that. Everyone should leave similar individual
      messages (if lots of folks think the same thing, it might not be crazy).

      I'll get more direct contact info for the general and his people ASAP.

      -Doug

      On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Doug Salzmann wrote:

      > We can sure try. I'll get on it and post contact info to the list so
      > others can add their voices.

      ==================
      Doug Salzmann
      P.O. Box 1007
      Larkspur, CA 94977
    • Doug Salzmann
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
        On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, kiwehtin wrote:

        > Like Todd, I interpret this, from the overall context of the
        > paragraph, to mean that they are thinking of a temporary camp to
        > house refugees somewhere where there is space.

        Yes, that's certainly what they mean. However, "temporary" is likely to
        be a temporary designation in this case. We should encourage construction
        of such a project in a place (and fashion) that will continue to serve the
        inevitable longer-term needs of the population.

        > The area to the north
        > of Lake Pontchartrain that I talked about in reaction to Joel's link
        > to a NASA animation of flooding scenarios is St. Tammany parish. It
        > was ordered evacuated -- it was right in the middle of the
        > hurricane's path -- and there is no electricity or water, according
        > to the parish government's website, and they don't expect them to be
        > restored for quite a while yet. Although the breakdown in services
        > seems to rule out putting up a temporary camp there,

        There is absolutely *nowhere* within even a remotely reasonable distance
        that has sufficient surviving services to support a new city, small or
        large, temporary or otherwise. These services will have to be improvised
        and developed wherever the site may be.

        > the green space
        > (which is located in the centre of the parish) seems a good eventual
        > candidate for construction because of its proximity to New Orleans.

        Indeed. And I think it's a likely candidate for the initial, "temporary"
        effort, also.

        -Doug

        ==================
        Doug Salzmann
        P.O. Box 1007
        Larkspur, CA 94977
      • Jason Meggs
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
          Thanks for that! I called them, and left a detailed message. It would be
          nice to have a well-constructed brief on this with some more
          numbers/addresses to call to send out as an action item. I don't have
          time to research and construct such an action bulletin, but I would
          promote it if someone else creates one.

          FYI, there have been calls here for students and faculty to help with the
          New Orleans reconstructino both in the Department of City and Regional
          Planning at UC Berkeley (a place where one sometimes finds the text,
          "Carfree Cities" on drafting tables..) and from the Chancellor...the
          potential to generate interest in the carfree new-New Orleans idea exists,
          and not just here but world-wide; and the time is now.

          Jason Meggs
          Berkeley, CA

          P.S. I'm CC'ing the WCN as I believe this would be good WCN campaign as
          well.