Re: [carfree_cities] city on "green space"

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
      On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > near the end:
      >
      > Strock stressed that one of the unit's jobs is to find temporary housing for evacuees, and he said "specific planning for New Orleans began before landfall." He said one idea was to create a city of 50,000 "on a green space" where "none exists now."
      >
      > Can somebody get to this guy?

      We can sure try. I'll get on it and post contact info to the list so
      others can add their voices.

      -Doug

      ==================
      Doug Salzmann
      P.O. Box 1007
      Larkspur, CA 94977
    • Doug Salzmann
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
        The Army Corps of Engineers ("USACE"), which is headed by the general in
        question, is operating a toll-free technical suggestion hotline:

        866-531-3001

        Call 'em and leave a message:

        "Your proposal for a 'temporary' city for relocation of evacuees from New
        Orleans is, by far, the most sensible and practical way to begin dealing
        with this issue, and would be the fastest and most cost-effective, as
        well.

        "Certain areas north of Lake Pontchartrain, notably a location NNE of
        Fontainebleau State Park, seem particularly well-suited to this purpose.

        "A compact, multi-use development, designed for easy accessibility by foot
        and public transit, would be the most practicable and affordable way to
        proceed.

        "To discuss this matter further, and to be placed in contact with experts
        who can help implement such a plan, please call or write... "

        ... or somethin' like that. Everyone should leave similar individual
        messages (if lots of folks think the same thing, it might not be crazy).

        I'll get more direct contact info for the general and his people ASAP.

        -Doug

        On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Doug Salzmann wrote:

        > We can sure try. I'll get on it and post contact info to the list so
        > others can add their voices.

        ==================
        Doug Salzmann
        P.O. Box 1007
        Larkspur, CA 94977
      • kiwehtin
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
          On Sep 3, 2005, at 11:40 AM, Doug Salzmann wrote:

          > On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, J.H. Crawford wrote:
          >
          >> near the end:
          >>
          >> Strock stressed that one of the unit's jobs is to find temporary
          >> housing for evacuees, and he said "specific planning for New
          >> Orleans began before landfall." He said one idea was to create a
          >> city of 50,000 "on a green space" where "none exists now."
          >>
          >> Can somebody get to this guy?
          >
          > We can sure try. I'll get on it and post contact info to the list so
          > others can add their voices.

          Like Todd, I interpret this, from the overall context of the
          paragraph, to mean that they are thinking of a temporary camp to
          house refugees somewhere where there is space. The most likely places
          at the moment would be somewhere to the northwest of the city, away
          from the path of the hurricane, where damage and disruption of
          services are not so severe. Such a place would be quite a distance
          away from New Orleans, though and perhaps not the best candidate for
          eventually building a new city for that reason.The area to the north
          of Lake Pontchartrain that I talked about in reaction to Joel's link
          to a NASA animation of flooding scenarios is St. Tammany parish. It
          was ordered evacuated -- it was right in the middle of the
          hurricane's path -- and there is no electricity or water, according
          to the parish government's website, and they don't expect them to be
          restored for quite a while yet. Although the breakdown in services
          seems to rule out putting up a temporary camp there, the green space
          (which is located in the centre of the parish) seems a good eventual
          candidate for construction because of its proximity to New Orleans.

          Chris Miller
          Montreal QC Canada
        • Doug Salzmann
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
            On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, kiwehtin wrote:

            > Like Todd, I interpret this, from the overall context of the
            > paragraph, to mean that they are thinking of a temporary camp to
            > house refugees somewhere where there is space.

            Yes, that's certainly what they mean. However, "temporary" is likely to
            be a temporary designation in this case. We should encourage construction
            of such a project in a place (and fashion) that will continue to serve the
            inevitable longer-term needs of the population.

            > The area to the north
            > of Lake Pontchartrain that I talked about in reaction to Joel's link
            > to a NASA animation of flooding scenarios is St. Tammany parish. It
            > was ordered evacuated -- it was right in the middle of the
            > hurricane's path -- and there is no electricity or water, according
            > to the parish government's website, and they don't expect them to be
            > restored for quite a while yet. Although the breakdown in services
            > seems to rule out putting up a temporary camp there,

            There is absolutely *nowhere* within even a remotely reasonable distance
            that has sufficient surviving services to support a new city, small or
            large, temporary or otherwise. These services will have to be improvised
            and developed wherever the site may be.

            > the green space
            > (which is located in the centre of the parish) seems a good eventual
            > candidate for construction because of its proximity to New Orleans.

            Indeed. And I think it's a likely candidate for the initial, "temporary"
            effort, also.

            -Doug

            ==================
            Doug Salzmann
            P.O. Box 1007
            Larkspur, CA 94977
          • Jason Meggs
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
              Thanks for that! I called them, and left a detailed message. It would be
              nice to have a well-constructed brief on this with some more
              numbers/addresses to call to send out as an action item. I don't have
              time to research and construct such an action bulletin, but I would
              promote it if someone else creates one.

              FYI, there have been calls here for students and faculty to help with the
              New Orleans reconstructino both in the Department of City and Regional
              Planning at UC Berkeley (a place where one sometimes finds the text,
              "Carfree Cities" on drafting tables..) and from the Chancellor...the
              potential to generate interest in the carfree new-New Orleans idea exists,
              and not just here but world-wide; and the time is now.

              Jason Meggs
              Berkeley, CA

              P.S. I'm CC'ing the WCN as I believe this would be good WCN campaign as
              well.