city on "green space"

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3 6:23 AM
      http://us.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.dewatering/index.html

      near the end:

      Strock stressed that one of the unit's jobs is to find temporary housing for evacuees, and he said "specific planning for New Orleans began before landfall." He said one idea was to create a city of 50,000 "on a green space" where "none exists now."

      Can somebody get to this guy?

      ------ ### -----
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3 6:46 AM
        --- "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

        He said one idea was to create a city of
        > 50,000 "on a green space" where "none exists now."
        >
        > Can somebody get to this guy?

        TODD: He is talking about temporary housing, and my
        impression is that they have a set plan for that
        depending on space, duration needed and climate. But
        perhaps at least the space they use could be reserved
        for permanent structures, and people there offered the
        chance to design it, too. Once their basic needs are
        taken care of, getting involved in something concrete
        could be therapeutic as well.

      • Doug Salzmann
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3 8:40 AM
          On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, J.H. Crawford wrote:

          > near the end:
          >
          > Strock stressed that one of the unit's jobs is to find temporary housing for evacuees, and he said "specific planning for New Orleans began before landfall." He said one idea was to create a city of 50,000 "on a green space" where "none exists now."
          >
          > Can somebody get to this guy?

          We can sure try. I'll get on it and post contact info to the list so
          others can add their voices.

          -Doug

          ==================
          Doug Salzmann
          P.O. Box 1007
          Larkspur, CA 94977
        • Doug Salzmann
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3 8:59 AM
            The Army Corps of Engineers ("USACE"), which is headed by the general in
            question, is operating a toll-free technical suggestion hotline:

            866-531-3001

            Call 'em and leave a message:

            "Your proposal for a 'temporary' city for relocation of evacuees from New
            Orleans is, by far, the most sensible and practical way to begin dealing
            with this issue, and would be the fastest and most cost-effective, as
            well.

            "Certain areas north of Lake Pontchartrain, notably a location NNE of
            Fontainebleau State Park, seem particularly well-suited to this purpose.

            "A compact, multi-use development, designed for easy accessibility by foot
            and public transit, would be the most practicable and affordable way to
            proceed.

            "To discuss this matter further, and to be placed in contact with experts
            who can help implement such a plan, please call or write... "

            ... or somethin' like that. Everyone should leave similar individual
            messages (if lots of folks think the same thing, it might not be crazy).

            I'll get more direct contact info for the general and his people ASAP.

            -Doug

            On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Doug Salzmann wrote:

            > We can sure try. I'll get on it and post contact info to the list so
            > others can add their voices.

            ==================
            Doug Salzmann
            P.O. Box 1007
            Larkspur, CA 94977
          • kiwehtin
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3 9:01 AM
              On Sep 3, 2005, at 11:40 AM, Doug Salzmann wrote:

              > On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, J.H. Crawford wrote:
              >
              >> near the end:
              >>
              >> Strock stressed that one of the unit's jobs is to find temporary
              >> housing for evacuees, and he said "specific planning for New
              >> Orleans began before landfall." He said one idea was to create a
              >> city of 50,000 "on a green space" where "none exists now."
              >>
              >> Can somebody get to this guy?
              >
              > We can sure try. I'll get on it and post contact info to the list so
              > others can add their voices.

              Like Todd, I interpret this, from the overall context of the
              paragraph, to mean that they are thinking of a temporary camp to
              house refugees somewhere where there is space. The most likely places
              at the moment would be somewhere to the northwest of the city, away
              from the path of the hurricane, where damage and disruption of
              services are not so severe. Such a place would be quite a distance
              away from New Orleans, though and perhaps not the best candidate for
              eventually building a new city for that reason.The area to the north
              of Lake Pontchartrain that I talked about in reaction to Joel's link
              to a NASA animation of flooding scenarios is St. Tammany parish. It
              was ordered evacuated -- it was right in the middle of the
              hurricane's path -- and there is no electricity or water, according
              to the parish government's website, and they don't expect them to be
              restored for quite a while yet. Although the breakdown in services
              seems to rule out putting up a temporary camp there, the green space
              (which is located in the centre of the parish) seems a good eventual
              candidate for construction because of its proximity to New Orleans.

              Chris Miller
              Montreal QC Canada
            • Doug Salzmann
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3 10:05 AM
                On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, kiwehtin wrote:

                > Like Todd, I interpret this, from the overall context of the
                > paragraph, to mean that they are thinking of a temporary camp to
                > house refugees somewhere where there is space.

                Yes, that's certainly what they mean. However, "temporary" is likely to
                be a temporary designation in this case. We should encourage construction
                of such a project in a place (and fashion) that will continue to serve the
                inevitable longer-term needs of the population.

                > The area to the north
                > of Lake Pontchartrain that I talked about in reaction to Joel's link
                > to a NASA animation of flooding scenarios is St. Tammany parish. It
                > was ordered evacuated -- it was right in the middle of the
                > hurricane's path -- and there is no electricity or water, according
                > to the parish government's website, and they don't expect them to be
                > restored for quite a while yet. Although the breakdown in services
                > seems to rule out putting up a temporary camp there,

                There is absolutely *nowhere* within even a remotely reasonable distance
                that has sufficient surviving services to support a new city, small or
                large, temporary or otherwise. These services will have to be improvised
                and developed wherever the site may be.

                > the green space
                > (which is located in the centre of the parish) seems a good eventual
                > candidate for construction because of its proximity to New Orleans.

                Indeed. And I think it's a likely candidate for the initial, "temporary"
                effort, also.

                -Doug

                ==================
                Doug Salzmann
                P.O. Box 1007
                Larkspur, CA 94977
              • Jason Meggs
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3 11:31 AM
                  Thanks for that! I called them, and left a detailed message. It would be
                  nice to have a well-constructed brief on this with some more
                  numbers/addresses to call to send out as an action item. I don't have
                  time to research and construct such an action bulletin, but I would
                  promote it if someone else creates one.

                  FYI, there have been calls here for students and faculty to help with the
                  New Orleans reconstructino both in the Department of City and Regional
                  Planning at UC Berkeley (a place where one sometimes finds the text,
                  "Carfree Cities" on drafting tables..) and from the Chancellor...the
                  potential to generate interest in the carfree new-New Orleans idea exists,
                  and not just here but world-wide; and the time is now.

                  Jason Meggs
                  Berkeley, CA

                  P.S. I'm CC'ing the WCN as I believe this would be good WCN campaign as
                  well.