Re: New Orleans and evacuating the carless

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
      No, the public transit buses were NOT used to evacuate the non-drivers.
      I was monitoring a political website that was following developments in
      New Orleans, and someone reported at that the bus system had been shut
      down at 6PM Sunday. Just shut down, not used to transport people out of
      the city. Furthermore, I saw a news photo of a parking lot full of
      school buses submerged up to their windows.

      This was just another example of the incredibly bad planning that went
      into preparations for the hurricane. If they had used the transit buses
      and the school buses to take people out of the city, they would have
      saved countless lives and would have dozens, maybe hundreds of intact
      buses.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness