New(er) Orleans

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi,

      As soon as rescue stage is over in New Orleans, or
      even before that, a working group of some sort will be
      formed to determine the next steps. Much of this will
      involve long-term yet still temporary housing, clean
      up, levee repair and physical/mental health.

      But,as has been discussed on this list already, it
      will also include a longer term plan, so:

      We need to assemble a small team of carfree advocates
      who will be able to (at least at first) volunteer
      their skills, either directly in this group, or more
      likely, as advisors to someone on it (most likely an
      elected representative).

      The small carfree team must be available to be in New
      Orleans area (and possibly Washington DC) on a regular
      basis.

      Goals? Well, we seem to know most of them, but one
      important strategy is that their methods are
      non-partisan.

      So, do we have a contact to an elected representative
      in New Orleans, or thereabouts? It could be to another
      elected rep. who is friendly with the N. O. person,
      for example,and who is on a same committee in U.S.
      House of Represenatives, Louisiana legislature, and so
      forth.

      Finally, a carfree city near New Orleans would be a
      second tourist attraction, possibly a "Big Easier".

      Todd, Green Idea Factory

    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
        Hi again,

        It seems I have a good connection to UITP
        (www.uitp.com) and APTA (www.apta.com) which could
        help with us with some kind of "lets do things
        differently" approach to people and politicians of New
        Orleans and surroundings concering carfree cities,
        transit-oriented design, etc.

        If - as I mentioned already on Carfree Cities -
        someone or a couple people have the capacity to be
        part of initial outreach and follow-through in
        Louisiana and DC then let me know off list.

        APTA has a big expo in Dallas in a few weeks.

        Todd, Green Idea Factory

      • Karen Sandness
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
          No, the public transit buses were NOT used to evacuate the non-drivers.
          I was monitoring a political website that was following developments in
          New Orleans, and someone reported at that the bus system had been shut
          down at 6PM Sunday. Just shut down, not used to transport people out of
          the city. Furthermore, I saw a news photo of a parking lot full of
          school buses submerged up to their windows.

          This was just another example of the incredibly bad planning that went
          into preparations for the hurricane. If they had used the transit buses
          and the school buses to take people out of the city, they would have
          saved countless lives and would have dozens, maybe hundreds of intact
          buses.

          In transit,
          Karen Sandness