Carfree Times #40

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi All,

      Carfree Times #40 is now on line at:

      http://www.carfree.com/cft/i040.html

      This issue was a little rushed because I wanted
      to get the New Orleans story out immediately.

      I won't send notices until Friday, but if you
      could advise me today of any typos or other errors
      OFF LIST, I would be much obliged.

      Regards,

      ------ ### -----
    • kiwehtin
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:10 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

        > Carfree Times #40 is now on line at:
        >
        > http://www.carfree.com/cft/i040.html
        >
        > This issue was a little rushed because I wanted
        > to get the New Orleans story out immediately.
        >
        > I won't send notices until Friday, but if you
        > could advise me today of any typos or other errors
        > OFF LIST, I would be much obliged.

        Hi Joel,

        I've been offline lately with most of my attention turned to a search
        for employment and thus less attention devoted to other things. In
        case you tried to email me about CFT, I should let you know that my
        former .Mac address no longer works, though I may try to reactivate
        it later; my current email address appears above.

        I took a look at the current Carfree Times and though I see 'Deutche'
        has been corrected to 'Deutsche' since the first time I looked it
        through, there are a number of other things that need to be taken
        care of. I'm pasting the relevant text after my signature below.

        As I say in my comments below, I would be interested in principle in
        doing editing on the manuscript; I would need to know what kind of
        work is involved, though. Also, I came across quite a few errors that
        need to be fixed in the new French translation of the Intro chapter.
        I'll see about sending you my comments in the relatively short term.

        Reading your account of the clay maquette at TCFC, I was reminded of
        a couple of articles that I read recently on the Cool Towns blog.
        Perhaps you might be interested in them. One had to do with using a
        new product by Lego that allows people to design Lego sets for their
        own purposes:

        http://www.cooltownstudios.com/mt/archives/000608.html

        It consists of a downloadable software application (Mac or PC) that
        can be used to design a Lego set customized for your own purposes,
        then submitted to Lego to be turned into a physical Lego set:

        http://www.lego.com/eng/factory/

        You can design your own trees and, perhaps, street furniture, it
        seems; also vehicles if they are useful. Whether you stand a good
        chance of ending up with a useful physical Lego set probably depends
        on how marketable the Lego people think it will ultimately be. That
        said, I can imagine it might be useful to design a number of modules
        based on Alexander's architectural patterns that can be combined in
        different ways to yield crude but functional representations of what
        a built environment could look like.

        The other article, also on the Cool Towns site, appeared just this
        past Monday:

        http://www.cooltownstudios.com/mt/archives/000615.html

        It's about a new mixed-use district to be built on the site of an
        office park in Rockville, Maryland, whose design (Andres Duany is
        involved) is strikingly similar to the medieval forms you propose.
        Unfortunately this is true only at a superficial level, since
        courtyards are used for parking, and the sinuous streets are designed
        for cars. It's probably worth a quick look at the article and links,
        nonetheless.

        Best,

        Chris

        Christopher Miller
        Montreal QC Canada

        Comments on CFT #40:

        Editor Needed!
        Work on Carfree Design Manual is going well. I expect to send it to
        the publisher at the end of this year. The first draft is complete
        except for two chapters. I badly need someone to do for this book
        what Marti Frank did for the last one: help me with a major edit
        before final tinkering begins. If you have the (very rare) skills and
        are interested in this project, please send mail.

        I would definitely be interested in working with you on this. Could
        you give me more of an idea of what you are looking for in terms of
        the quantity and nature of the content to be worked on?
        <<<<

        French
        The Introduction page at Carfree.com is now available in French.
        Thanks to Évan Monroig for the translation.

        I read the new translation a couple of weeks ago and it turns out
        that there are various mistakes that need to be corrected, including
        spelling, adjective-noun agreement for number etc., subject verb
        agreement and others. I could go over it and send you the corrections
        (which you could pass by Évan if you wish).
        <<<<

        News Bits

        How Safe Is Transit?
        The prolific Victoria Transport Policy Institute has issued (…) that
        transit is an extremely safe mode, with total fatality rates per
        passenger-mile approximately one-tenth that for automobile travel.

        fatality rates (plural) … one-tenth [that] >> those for…
        <<<<

        Wireless Trams Already Exist
        3rd paragraph:
        Germany has implemented systems where the two types of vehicles are
        always kept separated either in [either] space or in time.
        …kept separated either in space or in time.
        (The second ‘either’ should go.)
        <<<<

        Energy Rationing in Britain?
        Last paragraph:
        I have long thought that a scheme of this sort, operated on a global
        scale, is the only fair way to allocate[d] carbon emissions.
        …to allocate… (No ‘d’.)
        <<<<

        Feature Article
        Clay Maquette at TCFC V
        Morphogenic Development
        While I had not developed a full set of sequences at the time of the
        exercise, the work was well along.

        ‘well along’
        This isn’t an idiom I’m familiar with. Could it be a difference
        between US and Canadian English? I haven’t managed to find it in my
        dictionary (which referes to US usage). In trying to guess at the
        intended meaning, all I can come up with is something like “well on
        its way”, but this doesn’t make sense in the surrounding context.
        Might this be the stranded remainder of some text that was deleted
        inadvertently?
        <<<<

        Thanks
        A bit of a picky comment here. I notice a number of Turkish names
        that don’t look right. I realize that it would be difficult to get
        all the details such as the dotless i and s-cedilla right and won’t
        worry about those details. However a few names in your list that, as
        spelled, violate either the rules for vowel harmony (vowels in native
        Turkish words normally have to agree for height and backness), or
        syllable structure (no more than two consonants in a row). Here are
        the names with my comments:

        Elvan Burge Erginli >> Bürge?
        Selcen Kolutek >> Kölütek? (In general, are all the ‘c’s in the
        Turkish names you have ‘c’ or should some be ‘ç’?
        Elif Uzmez >> Üzmez?
        Murat Yildrim >> This should be ‘Yildirim’ with an ‘i’ before the ‘r’.
        <<<<

        Feature Article
        Epitome of Coercive Advertising
        Four paragraphs before the end:
        What you really want is peace and quiet, but instead, you are forced
        to repeatedly watch … and advertisements ad nauseum…

        ad nauseum >> ad nauseam
        <<<<
      • kiwehtin
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          Apologies to all for sending my previous message off to the list as a
          whole rather than to Joel alone. I shouldn't stay up so late.

          Chris Miller