Sorry, everyone

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hi All,

      My apologies for the postings on the Link Pages
      update that were meant to be off list.

      I've been very distracted by the devastation in
      New Orleans, a city I got to know a little in the
      1980s. This disaster has been inevitable for a long
      time, but it seems likely that people are simply
      going to rebuild the city in harm's way, again.
      The interval to the next disaster will likely be
      a lot shorter than the last interval. I don't know
      what to do about this.

      It's odd. On Monday evening, it looked like my
      message of Monday morning overshot the mark.
      Today it looks as if the devastation is nearly
      as bad as I had feared, although there is still
      some chance that the loss of life will be much
      less than seemed likely before the storm hit.
      Basically, what happened is that the city flooded
      slowly, over the north levees, rather than rapidly
      over the south levees. Many, many people had a
      chance to escape the rising water. If the storm
      surge had come over the south (river) levees, we
      would be looking at many thousands of dead.

      I can't do much more on this. Does anyone here
      want to lead a task force on making a proposal
      for what to do instead of rebuilding in such a
      dangerous location with such poor economic prospects
      (once the river changes course to bypass New Orleans
      entirely)?

      If we are to have any hope of influencing the
      debate, there is a lot of work to do to put a
      proposal on the table in a week or so. This can
      only be done by people with at least some familiarity
      with New Orleans. I just can't take the time to lead
      this charge. (I can add my 2cents now and again.)

      I hope that the situation will not get much worse
      than it is, which is already very bad. I think, in
      fact, that we have probably seen the worst of the
      flooding, or very nearly so.

      In any case, my thoughts are with the people of
      New Orleans and their remarkable city.

      Regards,