Link walk

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 30, 2005
      Hi All,

      It's long past time that the Links pages at Carfree.com
      were maintained. I keep all of the data in an Access database.
      It's been about 18 months since the links were visited to
      see which ones have moved or closed.

      If someone has time to visit all 446 links and check their
      status, I'd be obliged.

      Regards,

      ------ ### -----
    • Will
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 30, 2005
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...>
        wrote:

        > It's long past time that the Links pages at Carfree.com
        > were maintained. I keep all of the data in an Access database.
        > It's been about 18 months since the links were visited to
        > see which ones have moved or closed.
        >
        > If someone has time to visit all 446 links and check their
        > status, I'd be obliged.

        Many hands mean short work. I'll take the "Energy" list.

        Will Stewart
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 30, 2005
          Hi All,

          >> It's long past time that the Links pages at Carfree.com
          >> were maintained. I keep all of the data in an Access database.
          >> It's been about 18 months since the links were visited to
          >> see which ones have moved or closed.
          >>
          >> If someone has time to visit all 446 links and check their
          >> status, I'd be obliged.
          >
          >Many hands mean short work. I'll take the "Energy" list.
          >
          >Will Stewart

          Unfortunately, this is a case of "too many cooks spoil the dough."
          The links are duplicated, with appearing in several categories.
          So it makes sense for one person to do it all, or to divide the
          list on another basis, working from the All Links list, A-L and
          M-Z or something.

          Regards,

          ------ ### -----
        • Will
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 30, 2005
            wrote:

            > Unfortunately, this is a case of "too many cooks spoil the dough."
            > The links are duplicated, with appearing in several categories.
            > So it makes sense for one person to do it all, or to divide the
            > list on another basis, working from the All Links list, A-L and
            > M-Z or something.

            Oy! Ok, I'll restart at "Stop the Cars" and go to the end.

            Will
          • Will
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 30, 2005
              --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <v_stewart@e...> wrote:

              Ok, I'll restart at "Stop the Cars" and go to the end.

              Eddyburg no longer works

              World Transport Policy and Practice is now the New Mobility Agenda
              ASPO link is now http://www.peakoil.net/

              Alliance for a Paving Moratorium now points to Culture Change, which
              you already have a link for.

              The EcoDesign Website no longer works
              Projects International is now at
              http://www.e-o-n.org/Projects_International/alpha/

              "Oil Supply Prospects" - from the International Energy Agency no
              longer works. It appears similar information is now in a published
              document that must be purchased.

              Cambridge, England no longer works

              Syntran.org is now Holigent.org

              http://www.carfreeinstitute.org/ no longer works

              Energy Shortage from the Association for the Study of Peak Oil no
              longer works, their new site has been revamped with much new information.

              http://www.youngtransnet.org.uk/main/home.php being re-evaluated by
              end of September

              The Social Ideology of the Motorcar no longer works

              TransCycle says "Under Construction" and nothing else.

              Ayers Saint Gross Architects and Planners no longer works

              Pedal Power ACT Canberra Region Cycling no longer works

              Los Gatos Peds no longer works

              Population Connection no longer works

              SUGGESTED ADDITIONS:

              http://www.velomobile.de/

              Will Stewart
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 30, 2005
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                  Hi Will,

                  Thanks for this. I think it's best if you don't do any more
                  work on this until I have had a chance to organize the process
                  along lines that make it easier to make updates. I have put
                  your changes into the database and will upload it in a few
                  minutes.

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Regards,

                  Joel

                  ------ ### -----
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                    Hi Rick,

                    Thanks, Rick. Please hold off on further work on this
                    for a while. I'm hoping some one person can do the whole
                    thing, which is considerably simpler for me.

                    Best,

                    Joel

                    ------ ### -----
                  • Thomas C
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                      > If someone has time to visit all 446 links and check their
                      > status, I'd be obliged.

                      depending on the information you want to check, you might want to
                      think about scripting it...

                      rebol might be nice for that, you could use something like this:

                      parse read http://carfree.com/links.html [
                      any [thru {a href="} copy link to {">}
                      (if not exists? link [print [link " does not exist"]] )]
                      to end
                      ]

                      there might also be a useful firefox extension...

                      thomas
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                        All that's needed is an accurate list of links
                        that no longer work, given by their URL. Referrals
                        to new URLs are very useful. The check should be
                        run several times over a period of a week or two
                        and sites that are on-line during any part of that
                        period should be considered ok. Also, pages that
                        are just NetSol. placeholders are not valid.

                        So, it's not quite so simple.

                        >> If someone has time to visit all 446 links and check their
                        >> status, I'd be obliged.
                        >
                        >depending on the information you want to check, you might want to
                        >think about scripting it...
                        >
                        >rebol might be nice for that, you could use something like this:
                        >
                        >parse read http://carfree.com/links.html [
                        > any [thru {a href="} copy link to {">}
                        > (if not exists? link [print [link " does not exist"]] )]
                        > to end
                        >]
                        >
                        >there might also be a useful firefox extension...
                        >
                        > thomas
                        >

                        >Post messages to: carfree_cities@...
                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        ------ ### -----
                      • Thomas C
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                          it should have actually been:

                          system/options/quiet: true
                          parse read links.html http://carfree.com/links.html [
                          any [thru {a href="} copy link to {"}
                          (if parse link ["http" to end] [if not exists? to-url link [print
                          [link " does not exist"]]] )]
                          to end
                          ]

                          http://salzano.iuav.edu/ does not exist
                          http://www.iwalktoschool.org/index1.htm does not exist
                          http://www.urbed.co.uk/cgi-bin/main.cgi?org_code=fffgggretyuiopef57&option=index2
                          does not exist
                          http://www.bicyclingmagazine.com/ does not exist
                          http://www.bokeh.net/BikeReader/contributors/behrman/behrman.html
                          does not exist
                          http://www.livablecities.org/mclbook.htm does not exist
                          http://www.ecodesign.bc.ca does not exist
                          http://library.wustl.edu/units/spec/archives/guides/sturgis6.html
                          does not exist
                          http://www.people.virginia.edu/~plan303/ does not exist
                          http://obelix.polito.it/forum/welcome.htm does not exist
                          http://seattlelifestyle.tripod.com/cgi-bin/CommonSense.htm does not exist
                          http://www.vtpi.org/railben.htm does not exist
                          http://www.mlui.org/ does not exist
                          http://www.flora.org/chris/ does not exist
                          http://www.decc.nl/host/velo/velomondiall2000/Html/PROCEED/DECLARE.HTM
                          does not exist
                          http://www.pacesource.com/urbanwatch/ does not exist
                          http://www.calstart.org/panda/homepage_news/991119_ebikeshoot.html
                          does not exist
                          http://www.iea.org/g8/world/oilsup.htm does not exist
                          http://www.townbuilding.org/ does not exist
                          http://www.leonardodicaprio.org/globalwarninglaunch.html does not exist
                          http://www.thornley.com/car-free.html does not exist
                          http://www.tstc.org/ does not exist
                          http://www.vidaurbana.org/gorz.htm does not exist
                          http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/green/ does not exist
                          http://www.asg-architects.com/townplanning.html does not exist
                          http://www.carfreeinstitute.org/ does not exist
                          http://www.zpg.org/education/writingcontest does not exist

                          The following links have extra "s (ie. ""http://..."" instead of "http://...").
                          http://www.egroups.com/group/sustran-discuss
                          http://www.mlui.org/pubs/glb/glb11-00/glb11-0007.html
                          http://www.decc.nl/host/velo/velomondiall2000/Html/PROCEED/DECLARE.HTM

                          i do however recommend that people go through the links to make sure,
                          and most importantly to read them ;)

                          tc

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
                            Hi Thomas,

                            I've been thinking more about programming issues
                            and I would like to kick an idea around with you
                            if you have a little time. There's absolutely
                            no rush about this, as I won't have any real time
                            to put into the project until after this new book
                            goes to press.

                            Basically, I want to do something like:

                            http://www.sflcv.org/density/

                            but much more useful. I want to start with a
                            blank sheet of paper and let people create
                            their own city forms (within some limits, maybe)
                            and see how they compare on certain issues.

                            This is one of those project subject to creeping
                            features, but Version 1.0 could be pretty simple.

                            If you have some time and might be interested in
                            a project like this, please let me know.

                            Regards,

                            Joel