Renovating cities: How to get to transit locations

  • Will
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23 6:05 AM
      As the cities with foresight plan for greater mass transit, how are
      the citizens in the areas well outside of the transit zones
      (especially the suburbs) to easily reach transit stops? Buses could
      work, bikes as well. Walking is always available within reasonable
      distances.

      Who here is interested in velomobiles?

      http://www.velomobile.de/

      Will Stewart
    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23 2:43 PM
        If cities become carfree (or, for that matter, if there's a major oil price spike), at least in
        closer-in suburbs, homeowners will probably be able to arrange for the profitable sale of
        subdivisions of the land their house is on. I am not one to advocate tearing down buildings
        that are in structurally good condition (wasting money/energy/time/resources), so it
        would not surprise me if we see carfree environments resembling the carfree "reference",
        dotted with single-family houses (which would likely be valuable only for the land they're
        on).

        Would housing become unaffordable if this happened? Likely not. A 2000 square foot
        house occupying 14,000 sf of land might sell for $200,000 here, with the land alone worth
        $40,000. Assuming a FAR of 1.0, we could now fit 7 townhouse or condo housing units on
        the same piece of land--making the land alone worth $280,000.

        One thing I would want to avoid would be the eminent-domain taking of private property.
        Under no circumstances should a homeowner be forced to sell their land, but I feel many
        would if faced with $300+ oil and the opportunity to sell their $200k house and land for
        $280k, buy a $200k townhouse/condo with cash, and pocket $80k.

        Just my two cents.

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <v_stewart@e...> wrote:
        > As the cities with foresight plan for greater mass transit, how are
        > the citizens in the areas well outside of the transit zones
        > (especially the suburbs) to easily reach transit stops? Buses could
        > work, bikes as well. Walking is always available within reasonable
        > distances.
      • Chris Jordan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24 8:12 AM
          I have been very interested in velomobiles since 1999, but it
          seems that I am one of a small few in California. The GoOne
          from Germany would not sell in 2001 here and eventually was
          sold in Washington, and Texas is importing and building the
          Allweder now. Also today; the AeroRider is being sold by Zap
          Motors in California (under the E-Pod name). I invested in a
          California-made velomobile kit and it failed due to lack of time
          and interest.: 2 sales (including me).

          I retrieved the fiberglass and kevlar fairing, the 2 prototypes and
          now have the most interesting velomobile living room furniture!

          I am glad you mentioned velomobiles. Hopefully, more interest
          will arise, so I can ride mine without being the only one in the
          area!

          Chris Jordan

          wrote:

          > Who here is interested in velomobiles?
          >
          > http://www.velomobile.de/
          >
          > Will Stewart
        • Todd Edelman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24 9:50 AM
            --- Chris Jordan <chrisjordan7257@...>
            wrote:

            Hopefully,
            > more interest
            > will arise, so I can ride mine without being the
            > only one in the
            > area!

            Hi,

            I also think velomobiles are interesting, but, in
            order to prevent this Carfree Cities list from
            becoming a "Personal Experiences with Velomobiles"
            list - no offense intended - I would just like to hear
            a few reasons why you think they have not been very
            successful to date in the existing noncarfree context,
            etc.