Re: [carfree_cities] Re: SFGate: Wheels of revolution turning toward cheap, friendly transit

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22 7:11 PM
      --- Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

      Methinks the writer made one too many trips to the
      well of shopworn cliches......

      Todd: Yes, I am actually VERY surprised that some of
      this made it into an article about San Francisco IN a
      San Francisco-based publication... I lived there from
      1984 to 1996.. but when one visits SF now you get the
      feeling that cycling IS - relatively speaking -
      already somewhat mainstreamed, in that many or most of
      the commuter cyclists just "ride their bikes" and dont
      even bother to join the Bicycle Coaltion, etc.

      The whole "freaks vs. bureaucrats" thing is ridiculous
      because in fact the energy created in the Critical
      Mass and other actitivies gets harnassed by the Bike
      Coaltion (SFBC... www.sfbike.org...) and also creates
      the environment where it is able to work with the city
      to improve infrastructure more easily, etc.

      Dave Snyder, the director of SFBC - which had many
      effective staff members - during a great part of time
      when conditions started to improve due to this Grand
      Synergy, told me that the Critical Mass did more to
      improve cycling than the SFBC ever did... he was being
      honest, but I think also strongly implying that the
      SFBC rode - and rides - this wave, rather than moving
      in a different current.

      Todd