Re: [carfree_cities] Names & Acronyms

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2005
      WEll, we have to take possession of it and brand it, much as that might not be too many folks' liking. Otherwise, someone lese will, and apply it to the new less-gargantuan Hummer or the like.

      By introducing a term along with qualifications for applying it--such as not just fuel use, but embedded energy and space requirements--you would pretty much exclude all cars from the equation. It's more than just the carbon, as we all know. A high-capacity sidewalk or bike road makes little interruption of the landscape or cityscape; a tram makes even less (per passenger); an underground metro interrupts the world only at stations, which can be placed within existing structures or structures necessary for other reasons anyway. Likewise, a bike has little embedded energy and runs on grass seeds, shoes likewise; trams and metros generally use stationary sources and can run off nearly anything that makes electricity, including offsite solar, wind, and hydro, etc.

      "Organic," the example given earlier, is now a regulated term in most US states and European countries, with specific qualifications for its use. Should be the same with EFT (or whatever).

      Richard