Names & Acronyms

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2005
      Hi All--

      Here's my 2¢ worth on the matter...or I guess I should say 6¢ worth, for the three suggestions:

      EFT: Earth Friendly Transport

      CFT: Community Friendly Transport (Has a more political implication, since one of the effects of sprawl and car dependency has been the destruction of communitya nd public space even as a concept, which I personally believe is intentional among some sectors of the New Feudalist elite)

      BMF: Bike, Metro, Foot (Material rather than conceptual reference...recumbents and skateboards will most likely always be a minority choice against regular bikes and trikes in their huge variety, even the raciest of which put your eye level at around where it would be if you were just standing or walking)

      BMF lends itself to salacious punning, and so could be marketed through hiphop and rap to the youth community (and the fact taht we can refer to the "youth community" speaks to how how thoroughly we have been fragmented by marketers....)

      I'm a Bad Mutha F***ah; BMF is my ride
      when I step out on the street, you know I do it with pride
      hang wi' my homies in the middle of the train
      riding on my Freedom Wheel even in the rain

      etc

      One of my web clients is a Compton rap producer, so that part could actually get done...!

      Vive la velorution!

      Richard
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2005
        > EFT: Earth Friendly Transport

        =v= Nice if true. Greenwashing has become so prevalent, and
        especially in the field of transport ("zero emissions," "clean
        air," etc.), that I become preemptively skeptical whenever I
        see a phrase like that. Alas.

        =v= A similar situation happened with "organic," and now we
        need "certified organic."
        <_Jym_>

        P.S.: I mentioned a "CST" that's putting up marker graffiti
        in Brooklyn. Here are some of her/his/its/their messages:

        http://www.things.org/~jym/pix/cst-ride-yer-bikes.jpg
        http://www.things.org/~jym/pix/cst-drink-in-public.jpg
        http://www.things.org/~jym/pix/cst-ride-bikes.jpg
      • Andrew Dawson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2005
          Jym Dyer wrote:
          >=v= Nice if true. Greenwashing has become so prevalent, and
          >especially in the field of transport ("zero emissions," "clean
          >air," etc.), that I become preemptively skeptical whenever I
          >see a phrase like that. Alas.
          >
          >=v= A similar situation happened with "organic," and now we
          >need "certified organic."

          Here in Montreal we have "BMW" (Bus, Metro, Walk)
          Andrew Dawson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 19, 2005
            WEll, we have to take possession of it and brand it, much as that might not be too many folks' liking. Otherwise, someone lese will, and apply it to the new less-gargantuan Hummer or the like.

            By introducing a term along with qualifications for applying it--such as not just fuel use, but embedded energy and space requirements--you would pretty much exclude all cars from the equation. It's more than just the carbon, as we all know. A high-capacity sidewalk or bike road makes little interruption of the landscape or cityscape; a tram makes even less (per passenger); an underground metro interrupts the world only at stations, which can be placed within existing structures or structures necessary for other reasons anyway. Likewise, a bike has little embedded energy and runs on grass seeds, shoes likewise; trams and metros generally use stationary sources and can run off nearly anything that makes electricity, including offsite solar, wind, and hydro, etc.

            "Organic," the example given earlier, is now a regulated term in most US states and European countries, with specific qualifications for its use. Should be the same with EFT (or whatever).

            Richard

            =v= Nice if true. Greenwashing has become so prevalent, and
            especially in the field of transport ("zero emissions," "clean
            air," etc.), that I become preemptively skeptical whenever I
            see a phrase like that. Alas.

            =v= A similar situation happened with "organic," and now we
            need "certified organic."
            <_Jym_>

            P.S.: I mentioned a "CST" that's putting up marker graffiti
            in Brooklyn. Here are some of her/his/its/their messages:

            http://www.things.org/~jym/pix/cst-ride-yer-bikes.jpg
            http://www.things.org/~jym/pix/cst-drink-in-public.jpg
            http://www.things.org/~jym/pix/cst-ride-bikes.jpg

            Post messages to: carfree_cities@...