Re: Re: The exurbs - and "burb cowards"

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2005
      When I lived in Portland, where car-free living is easy, I was out and
      around at all hours, while more timid types cowered in their homes.

      I can honestly say that I was never afraid, especially not after I
      began volunteering in a program for homeless teens and realized that
      the "scary" pierced and tattooed youth were much more sinned against
      than sinning.

      At the moment, I'm forced to drive here in Minneapolis, and I hate the
      expense and the general hassle. However, my mother and stepfather are
      about to move to a place that is accessible by bus, and car-sharing is
      spreading rapidly, so maybe my tribulations--including a severe cash
      hemorrhage for fuel, maintenance, repairs, and insurance-- will be over
      soon.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness