Re: [carfree_cities] Time to act? Climate tipping point at hand

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
      "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

      > Can we use this to get governments to take real
      > action?

      My feeling that there needs to a HUGE increase in
      understanding in individuals about what they can and
      must do to defeat, at the top of a long list of
      targets, this HUGE BEAST OF A METHANE-LEACHING PEAT
      BOG... and once the people are empowered with
      knowledge they can work with govenment to slay the
      beast.

      Not optimistic, but I do have some ideas...

      Unless we think that, for example, a UNEP-sponsored
      worldwide TV, radio, newspaper and web campaign
      telling people to ride a bike sometimes, turn down the
      heat, insulate their home, take public transport, buy
      a Toyota Prius etc is enough of a start - or
      progressive continuation - in awareness-raising then
      we need to do something similar but stronger
      ourselves... but will the UNEP and advert agencies
      (whose donated time and contacts is necessary to make
      this affordable unless we get huge money) work with
      us?

      I dont know... but I see a TV advert of the peat bog
      monster, leaching methane... then screaming "oh no!"
      as a carfree city lands right on top of them.

      Or everyone needs to commit to convince TWO people
      about this and have that person convince two people...
      and so on...

      Todd
      www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain
      www.WaronPeatBogTerrorism.org
      www.telltwofriendsaboutclimatechange.org

      p.s. Genocide, slavery, smoking, oppression of
      women... we have made some progress in some places but
      it has taken many years and nothing is solved....

    • Mike Neuman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2005
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Todd Edelman
        <traintowardsthefuture@y...> wrote:

        > Or everyone needs to commit to convince TWO people
        > about this and have that person convince two people...
        > and so on...

        I just rejoined this group after a fairly long hiatus and looked over
        the recent archives briefly. This topic was posted August 11 and I
        thought I'd toss my two cents worth in on it.

        In short, I believe Todd's is right on the money regarding this
        problem. There needs to be a rude awakening in the U.S., soon, on the
        importance and relevance of our contributions to global climate
        change.

        Todd suggests that everyone needs to commit to convince two people
        about the need to take action, and to have that person convince two
        other people... and so on.... I've been trying to convince people
        about that for going over 5 years now. I can't say I've been the only
        person doing that. Nor can I say I've been all that successful. (I've
        not.) But people everywhere are now starting to recognize for
        themselves that the climate is changing, and that global warming is a
        threat, and potentially huge threat, and that its a problem that
        could grow worse in time if we aren't careful.

        But being careful doesn't mean sitting back and doing nothing about
        it. Being careful doesn't mean being quiet about it - not talking -
        or assuming that someone else will take care of it.

        Being careful, in this case, means speaking out about it. It means
        confronting your governmental officials about it, because it is a
        threat to your society, friends and neighbors, and your family. It
        means taking actions yourself, as well as collectively, to address
        it, and bringing it to other people's attention, as Todd suggests.
        Taking actions to confront global warming mean doing something,
        anything, to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and helping your
        communities and others to deal with whatever adverse effects climate
        change brings.

        The positive feedbacks of global warming are serious - such as the
        release of methane from the thawing permafrost region - and will
        likely speed global warming even more. Methane is a powerful
        greenhouse gas, so the faster the permafrost region thaws, the larger
        the volume of methane that is released (from rotting biological
        matter). This could cause temperatures to increase even more, thus
        producing even more extensive thawing, and so on. Because this
        process has now started already, we have to act fast in reducing our
        contributions to this process, which means reducing our greenhouse
        gas emissions to the atmosphere, big time.

        It is up every citizen and every group to demand that their federal,
        state and local governments properly address this issue, before the
        problem is too great. This is a huge and very real issue that needs
        to be dealt with before it get away from us. Its especially bad for
        cities due to the "urban heat-island effect", in which concrete
        surfaces capture more heat and hold it longer, releasing it more
        slowing during the night.

        Possibly the best thing we all can do is to contact our governmental
        representatives in the Congress and at the state level and demand
        they take action. If they don't hear from their constituents, they
        are unlikely to act. Call them today!

        Tell them its time to confront global warming, all-out, by enacting
        policies and programs aimed at substantially reducing greenhouse
        gases. Educate yourself on what proposals are being advanced. Make
        sure they're going to do enough. If nothing else, just tell them to
        do something - anything - to at least get the ball rolling.

        Join or form your own discussion group on confronting global
        warming. Here's one that's just getting started this month:

        climatechangepolitics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Form your own local group of concerned citizens active in preserving
        the climate. Here's an example:

        http://www.madison.com/communities/preserveourclimate

        Now go tell a couple people about what your up to, and tell them to
        tell two other people what they are up to, and ....

        Mike