Re: [carfree_cities] VERY light rail

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
      Todd Edelman said:

      >I found this through Wikipedia when I was just doing a
      >search for what was there about the "railbus"....
      >
      >I dont think this was mentioned during any of the
      >previous discussions about rail-based solutions.
      >
      >http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/index.htm
      >
      >One of their vehicles is apparently is in service, or
      >nearly there.
      >
      >It could have uses where it doesnt have to share
      >tracks with the heavy stuff... it is so light (Model
      >80 is less than half the of the weight of a new Skoda
      >articulated tram and 2/3 of the weight of a new Polish
      >railbus) that it could just be used to keep the rails
      >rust-free as a favour to the infrastructure manager..
      >
      >... the most interesting things is its "engine".

      Very interesting; I was just two weeks ago putting a
      bug in Oscar Diaz's ear regarding the need for off-wire
      tram technologies. We'll have to wait to see if this
      really works, but it appears to be a promising technology.

      Regards,

      ------ ### -----
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
        --- "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote: I was
        just two weeks ago putting a bug in Oscar Diaz's
        ear...

        TODD: If you look around the Perry site you will see
        not see any insects but you will see info about the
        "matching" simple track system for city streets, a
        possibly strange comparison in fuel savings which
        seems to be based on all four modes being at full
        capacity...a "pick the vehicle that suits you"
        system... the nice thing about all of this is that it
        is very open and people-friendly information-wise...
        completely different than the websites of the major
        rail technology manufacturers.

        I am now going to try to find out which regional lines
        in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland might be
        suitable for this....

        Todd