VERY light rail

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9 6:22 AM
      Hi,

      I found this through Wikipedia when I was just doing a
      search for what was there about the "railbus"....

      I dont think this was mentioned during any of the
      previous discussions about rail-based solutions.

      http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/index.htm

      One of their vehicles is apparently is in service, or
      nearly there.

      It could have uses where it doesnt have to share
      tracks with the heavy stuff... it is so light (Model
      80 is less than half the of the weight of a new Skoda
      articulated tram and 2/3 of the weight of a new Polish
      railbus) that it could just be used to keep the rails
      rust-free as a favour to the infrastructure manager..

      ... the most interesting things is its "engine".

      Todd
      www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      p.s. By the way, Joel, did you see in Railvolution
      that now Vienna, like Dresden, has a tram-freight
      system? (Very limited...but it gets your brain
      goin...)

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9 8:50 AM
        Todd Edelman said:

        >I found this through Wikipedia when I was just doing a
        >search for what was there about the "railbus"....
        >
        >I dont think this was mentioned during any of the
        >previous discussions about rail-based solutions.
        >
        >http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/index.htm
        >
        >One of their vehicles is apparently is in service, or
        >nearly there.
        >
        >It could have uses where it doesnt have to share
        >tracks with the heavy stuff... it is so light (Model
        >80 is less than half the of the weight of a new Skoda
        >articulated tram and 2/3 of the weight of a new Polish
        >railbus) that it could just be used to keep the rails
        >rust-free as a favour to the infrastructure manager..
        >
        >... the most interesting things is its "engine".

        Very interesting; I was just two weeks ago putting a
        bug in Oscar Diaz's ear regarding the need for off-wire
        tram technologies. We'll have to wait to see if this
        really works, but it appears to be a promising technology.

        Regards,

        ------ ### -----
      • Todd Edelman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9 9:17 AM
          --- "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote: I was
          just two weeks ago putting a bug in Oscar Diaz's
          ear...

          TODD: If you look around the Perry site you will see
          not see any insects but you will see info about the
          "matching" simple track system for city streets, a
          possibly strange comparison in fuel savings which
          seems to be based on all four modes being at full
          capacity...a "pick the vehicle that suits you"
          system... the nice thing about all of this is that it
          is very open and people-friendly information-wise...
          completely different than the websites of the major
          rail technology manufacturers.

          I am now going to try to find out which regional lines
          in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland might be
          suitable for this....

          Todd