Online travel planner for NYC

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      Travel Planner Wows NY Times

      New York City transit websites do not appear to have a
      travel planner/search engine, so the entrepreneurs at
      HopStop.com have stepped in to fill the gap. The New
      York Times seems pretty impressed at this wonder of
      technology, thought it is far from unique. Since
      before the millennium, the German Railway's travel
      planner has been able to show you the way from the
      subway station Hietzing in Vienna, Austria, to the
      Hackescher Markt commuter train station in Berlin, for
      example. And www.Helaresan.se does the same thing for
      domestic trips in Sweden, but also includes airlines
      and express bus connections where relevant.

      from:
      http://www.eriksrailnews.com/

      For something related which is related to freight in
      Europe, there is also this:
      http://www.ecotransit.org/home.html

      Todd

    • Christopher Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
        It's nice to see something like this for the non-car-using market.
        This kind of thing is of course widely available on mapping sites,
        which will map out and give verbal directions for how to drive from
        point A to point B. But if you intend to get there by cycling or via
        public transit, the instructions are as often as not useless. Yeah,
        just *try* biking along that interstate/autoroute/motorway... I find
        that even ordinary, traditional paper maps are really geared toward
        car drivers: transit and cycling maps are generally only available at
        one or two transit stations or cycling shops, as the case may be,
        unlike driving maps, which you don't have to go to a car dealership
        or gas station to find. And even at that, biking maps are often
        merely designed to point out *recreational* trails, failing to show
        clearly how they link up with an area's overall road system. (I have
        gotten lost by naively relying on a bike map to clearly show such
        connections.)

        It sure would be nice to see non-car-centred maps become more

        On Aug 1, 2005, at 6:29 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

        > Travel Planner Wows NY Times
        >
        > New York City transit websites do not appear to have a
        > travel planner/search engine, so the entrepreneurs at
        > HopStop.com have stepped in to fill the gap. The New
        > York Times seems pretty impressed at this wonder of
        > technology, thought it is far from unique. Since
        > before the millennium, the German Railway's travel
        > planner has been able to show you the way from the
        > subway station Hietzing in Vienna, Austria, to the
        > Hackescher Markt commuter train station in Berlin, for
        > example. And www.Helaresan.se does the same thing for
        > domestic trips in Sweden, but also includes airlines
        > and express bus connections where relevant.
        >
        > from:
        > http://www.eriksrailnews.com/
        >
        > For something related which is related to freight in
        > Europe, there is also this:
        > http://www.ecotransit.org/home.html
        >
        > Todd

        ==============================
        422-A Fleury E.
        Montreal QC H3L 1G3
        Canada

        +1 514 568-9949

        christophermiller@...
        ==============================
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
          Los Angeles, of all places, has an excellent online route planner on the http://www.mta.net site, and the city (MTA is county) puts out an excellent bicycle route map oriented to commuters...I found one at my local bike shop, and I am sure it is online, though having lived and ridden here for over forty years I generally know the routes so I haven't looked for it.

          Now, if only more people would use it....

          Richard

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
            Todd Edelman wrote:
            > Travel Planner Wows NY Times

            Another good example of this sort of thing is the swiss
            federal railway website:

            http://www.rail.ch

            Try this search for instance:

            From: avenue de Rhodanie 4, Lausanne