Cars and Cities only solution - "radical change in the social order"

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2005
      Powerful analysis but it sounds like capitalism must be overturned to get
      cities working again? Hm? So are we all trimmers?

      Cars and Cities
      by Paul M. Sweezy

      ³Cities, after all, have a great deal in common with cars. More and more, in
      fact, they often seem to be turning into cars. There are deep mysteries
      here, impenetrable to the present shallow state of human understanding.
      Somehow, we know not how, things communicate.²
      ‹Russell Baker, New York Times, March 8, 1973

      http://www.monthlyreview.org/400pms.htm

      QUOTE I do not think that fundamental changes in the structure of cities and
      their relation to society as a whole can be effected without a radical
      change in the social order. In what I have called the traditional commuter
      situation, it should certainly be possible to bring about a great
      improvement in public transport both into and out of the inner city and also
      within the inner city. This, perhaps together with certain restrictions on
      the use of cars in the inner city, might do much to relieve congestion,
      particularly of the rush-hour variety. But it would leave untouched other
      kinds of movement within the metropolis which are much less susceptible to
      facilitation through improvement of public transport.23 And it would do
      nothing to check, let alone reverse, the sprawl process.END

      Regards

      Simon