Fwd: Terrorism, Transit and Public Safety: Evaluating The Risks

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2005
      I thought this was relevant and interesting to both groups:

      >MEDIA NOTICE
      >For immediate release: 12 July 2005
      >
      >New report from the Victoria Transport Policy Institute
      >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >

      >"Terrorism, Transit and Public Safety" (http://www.vtpi.org/transitrisk.pdf).
      >This paper evaluates the overall safety of public transit, taking into account all risks, including recent terrorist attacks. It indicates that transit is an extremely safe mode, with total fatality rates per passenger-mile approximately one-tenth that of automobile travel.
      >
      >It is important for individuals and public officials to avoid overreacting to terrorist threats in ways that increase overall danger. Transit terrorism would cause more total casualties and harm to society if individuals respond to attacks by shifting from public transit to less safe modes, or if decision makers respond by reducing support for public transit.

      ------ ### -----
    • manfredstrobl
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2005
        in 2002 according to statistics 1.000.000 people were killed by cars:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_accident

        for 2003,2004 and 2005 the numbers are (will be) higher because of an
        increased traffic volume worldwide.

        that makes an average of 2740 people who get killed by cars every day.

        it is definitely much more than the average number of people killed by
        terrorists IN A YEAR!!! in the record year of 2001 , the number of
        people killed by terrorists worldwide was 3547:
        http://www.usembassyjakarta.org/terrorism/attack2001.html

        in 2002 the number of people killed by terrorists was 725:
        http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/pgtrpt/2002/html/19980.htm

        in 2003 the number of people killed by terrorists was 625:
        http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/pgtrpt/2003/33771.htm

        in 2004 the number of people killed by terrorists was 1907:
        http://www.tkb.org/documents/Downloads/NCTC_Report.pdf

        conclusion:
        an average of 1701 people PER YEAR were killed by terrorists from
        2001-2004
        an average of 2740 people EVERY DAY GET KILLED by cars

        the london terrorists have killed 57 people.
        cars kill 57 people EVERY HALF AN HOUR as we read this.

        any questions?

        manfred

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...>