Vision for transport from new mayor of LA

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2005
      On his campaign website Villaraigosa seems to want to
      do everything for everybody, and the words/phrases
      "widening" and "increased capacity" come up a few
      times in relation to roads.

      He seems to want to return LA to some grand era where
      it was the envy of the country with its new roads....
      doesnt mention what was truly worthy of envy that came
      before that.

      It does mention transit-oriented development, but at
      the end, and briefly.

      It does say "The design of Los Angeles is
      fundamentally unsustainable and Angelenos have to
      start making the hard choices necessary for a
      long-term solution... this means: Say goodbye to your
      cars". Ok, sorry, it does not say that :-)

      I am from LA, but havent lived there since
      1984...anyone have some unobvious thoughts or insider
      views on this?

      http://www.antonio2005.com/vision?id=0007

      Todd

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2005
        He has also repeatedly insisted we must build out the two northwest
        branches of the Red Line to their logical termini, Warner Center and
        the beach, and wants to expand bus service and add more rail liens.

        Gold Line is now being extended to East LA, and it looks like the
        Exposition line will go ahead after all. There's a LOT of TOD going
        on right now, and V. need only continue it to do well, but will
        certainly expand the incentive programs. LA is already in the process
        of building dozens more neighborhood schools, many of them of the
        smaller friendlier sort (we voted ourselves a tax increase just a few
        years ago for this); there's some hope for teh town, and now that the
        chairwarmer Hahn is out things may just get better faster.

        Yes, he may build more roads too, but they won't work, and people are
        finally starting to understand that.

        We're better off than where we were six months ago, I'd say. Can't
        get everything fixed at once.

        Richard

        On Jul 3, 2005, at 4:24 PM, Todd Edelman wrote:

        > On his campaign website Villaraigosa seems to want to
        > do everything for everybody, and the words/phrases
        > "widening" and "increased capacity" come up a few
        > times in relation to roads.

      • Todd J. Binkley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2005
          >On Jul 3, 2005, at 4:24 PM, Todd Edelman wrote:
          >
          > > On his campaign website Villaraigosa seems to want to
          > > do everything for everybody, and the words/phrases
          > > "widening" and "increased capacity" come up a few
          > > times in relation to roads.

          I don't know which roads he's referring to, but recent reactions to
          proposed schemes to widen the 101 freeway, which is the main artery through
          Santa Barbara, Ventura and western Los Angeles counties, were
          encouraging---they were immediately, vociferously, and conclusively shouted
          down by folks who live or own property near the proposed expansion
          areas. This despite the grinding, crawling rush "hour" (6:00am to 8:00pm)
          traffic suffered daily by these same people.

          -TJB