Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Elevators

    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 3, 2005
      OK, about the elevators:

      1. Bikes and whatnot should be stored with the concierge
      service on the ground floor. (This service provides a
      considerable number of useful services for all the families
      living on a block.)

      2. Elevators take up a surprising amount of room in small
      buildings (and also in tall buildings).

      3. Tall buildings are notorious energy hogs. Let's just
      build the four-story attached buildings that we've been
      building in cities for a thousand years. They're energy-
      efficient and quite economical to build and maintain.

      4. The energy consumption of elevators is, in the larger
      context, more or less negligible.

      5. The ground floors of EVERY building should be accessible.
      Upper stories don't have to be and most societies can't
      afford to make them so, except in the kinds of giant
      buildings that go along with corporatism.

      6. The iBOT may help some people.

      7. Stair-running invalid elevators can be installed
      in a stair well if required.

      8. High FAR can be achieved with buildings no taller
      than four stories.

      9. Hoisting beams (a la Amsterdam) are incredibly effective
      for bringing things into an upper floor. They're cheap and
      nearly maintenance free.

      Regards,

      ------ ### -----
      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 14, 2005
        Winding up the elevator discussion, Will Stewart said:

        >I assume you are talking about flats as the context for the following,
        > where an elevator would service 3 floors above the ground floor, and
        >perhaps 4 units per floor at each elevator stop.

        Well, no, TWO flats per floor, so they have through ventilation
        and some light from both ends.

        >Plus, the human factor of modest scale and a courtyard are also very
        >important factors.

        oh, yes

        Regards,