Re: [carfree_cities] what to do?

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
      The trouble is that the places outside the cities are being turned into faux
      from cities - with the richest creating eco-sanctuaries on distant islands.
      Stay in the cities and make change there. These lines were written by an old
      man about those who retreat from the city making the rest of the world one
      great burb and claiming to save the earth:

      'Did they think about the skylarks when they built Mayfair
      on the grazings that ran down to the Shepherd¹s Market?

      Did they worry about the snipe when they drained the marshes
      behind St.James¹s Palace to build Belgravia?

      Where did the kite go when they dug the London sewers?

      Do the piles they drove down through the beaver¹s dam hold
      firm the supermarket in Newbury High Street?

      Who cooked the big trout that lay under the village bridge
      at Wandsworth? Who feasted on the last salmon that was
      netted at Tower Hamlets?

      Now they come to put central heating in the ploughman¹s hovel.

      They claim the sun that used to bake the hay. And breathe
      the breeze in which the pointing dog caught a hundred scents.

      They walk out in trainers and T-shirts that say ³Save the
      Rain Forest².

      ³Stand back!² they say. ³We have a right to walk where we please!²

      But we look where they trod before and shudder for what
      follows in their footsteps.

      I said I must write a warning. But I was angry and - as the
      Japanese say - to be angry is only to make yourself ridiculous.

      So we will live out our days in the cracks between the
      concrete. And then they will pour cement on top of us.'

      But look what a blade of grass can do to concrete. Do not dream of escaping
      to a new Jerusalem, Build it where we are. "There shall yet old men and old
      women dwell in the streets ... and every man with his staff in his hand for
      very age. And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls
      playing in the streets thereof." Zechariah 8

      Simon