what to do?

  • manfredstrobl
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
      i think almost everyone here agrees on anything written before:
      -cars and urban sprawl destroy
      -lifestyles in the rich coutries kill and make obese
      -in most cities pollution from cars is too high for a healthy life

      now what can we do about it?
      how can we change it to the better?
      what is the recommended action to be taken by anyone individually?

      it would be the logic consequence of those facts to move to a place
      that is less dominated by cars and urban sprawl where the air is
      clean, public transportation works, unspoiled nature is easily
      accessible and where biking is the priority. where is that place?

      curious about solutions
      manfred

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Debra Efroymson
      <anima1205@y...> wrote:
      > For those of you who haven't yet, please read Fast
      > Food Nation--it does talk about how cars destroy the
      > landscape, but also how lack of independent businesses
      > ruins so much else that is important. The trend of
      > industrialization and everything mass produced is
      > something we, on our bicycles, in our car-free cities,
      > should be fighting--isn't it?
      > Anima
      >

      > > We'll indeed have
      > > >Carfree McDs and Starbucks as a product of a wired
      > > global economy. Don't
      > > >waste your time on such regrets.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
        The trouble is that the places outside the cities are being turned into faux
        from cities - with the richest creating eco-sanctuaries on distant islands.
        Stay in the cities and make change there. These lines were written by an old
        man about those who retreat from the city making the rest of the world one
        great burb and claiming to save the earth:

        'Did they think about the skylarks when they built Mayfair
        on the grazings that ran down to the Shepherd¹s Market?

        Did they worry about the snipe when they drained the marshes
        behind St.James¹s Palace to build Belgravia?

        Where did the kite go when they dug the London sewers?

        Do the piles they drove down through the beaver¹s dam hold
        firm the supermarket in Newbury High Street?

        Who cooked the big trout that lay under the village bridge
        at Wandsworth? Who feasted on the last salmon that was
        netted at Tower Hamlets?

        Now they come to put central heating in the ploughman¹s hovel.

        They claim the sun that used to bake the hay. And breathe
        the breeze in which the pointing dog caught a hundred scents.

        They walk out in trainers and T-shirts that say ³Save the
        Rain Forest².

        ³Stand back!² they say. ³We have a right to walk where we please!²

        But we look where they trod before and shudder for what
        follows in their footsteps.

        I said I must write a warning. But I was angry and - as the
        Japanese say - to be angry is only to make yourself ridiculous.

        So we will live out our days in the cracks between the
        concrete. And then they will pour cement on top of us.'

        But look what a blade of grass can do to concrete. Do not dream of escaping
        to a new Jerusalem, Build it where we are. "There shall yet old men and old
        women dwell in the streets ... and every man with his staff in his hand for
        very age. And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls
        playing in the streets thereof." Zechariah 8

        Simon