Re: [carfree_cities] Elevators

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 3 10:42 AM
      Alan Thein Durning wrote "Studies of 68 cities on four continents show
      that as the population density of a neighborhoods rises, driving drops
      off, transit use surges, and walking and cycling flourish. More than any
      other factor, density is the key to reducing our dependence on motor
      vehicles."

      Elevators make it faster and easier to live and work in taller buildings
      and therefore facilitate higher density cities.

      The tiny amount of electricity needed to power elevators is nothing
      compared to the amount of energy that would be wasted under the low
      density auto dependent suburban model.

      Bob Matter
      Carfree in Hammond, Indiana
      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 14 5:32 AM
        Winding up the elevator discussion, Will Stewart said:

        >I assume you are talking about flats as the context for the following,
        > where an elevator would service 3 floors above the ground floor, and
        >perhaps 4 units per floor at each elevator stop.

        Well, no, TWO flats per floor, so they have through ventilation
        and some light from both ends.

        >Plus, the human factor of modest scale and a courtyard are also very
        >important factors.

        oh, yes

        Regards,