Re: [carfree_cities] Elevators

    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 3, 2005
      On Jul 3, 2005, at 7:40 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > Ditto elevators--I tend to use them if they're there.
      > If they're not there, then I never use them. ;-)

      I'm one of those California eccentrics that goes up the stairs even
      when there is an elevator present, most of the time. At least up to
      about 6 floors. Amusingly enough, one time when I decidedly *did*
      want to use the lift in my old apartment--I was carrying a small
      weightlifting kit weighing 112 lbs.--it turned out the lift was
      broken that day...! I lived on the fourth floor.

      Yesterday, though, I had a visit from a client who brought his
      partner in a wheelchair. I live on the second floor now, and so kept
      the partner company by the porch while my wife photographed the client.

      As for slow trains, I remember our last few days in Japan, when we
      had a JR pass and could ride any of the national line trains free, I
      said, Let's skip the bullet train this time and take a local to Kyoto
      instead. It was truly charming, and hell, we were on vacation,
      right? Later, the train from central Tokyo to the airport, which
      wound mostly along an alley through the city, giving an intimate view
      of dozens of little neighborhoods. (It was not a particularly slow
      train, but in comparison to the shinkansen was quite relaxed.)

      Richard
      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 14, 2005
        Winding up the elevator discussion, Will Stewart said:

        >I assume you are talking about flats as the context for the following,
        > where an elevator would service 3 floors above the ground floor, and
        >perhaps 4 units per floor at each elevator stop.

        Well, no, TWO flats per floor, so they have through ventilation
        and some light from both ends.

        >Plus, the human factor of modest scale and a courtyard are also very
        >important factors.

        oh, yes

        Regards,