Re: [carfree_cities] Elevators

    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 3, 2005
      >And yes, one of the pleasures of Bangladesh´┐Żs trains
      >(not to mention that people can ride standing on top
      >of them!!!) is that the windows are wide open,
      >allowing a real view of the countryside moving very,
      >very slowly past (ahem).

      Until recently, the trains on my line had no a/c and
      the doors were left open in the summer. (Yes, it's
      your very own personal responsibility not to fall
      out of the door while the train is in motion.)

      When the trains stopped in a station, it was completely
      quiet on board (except for people talking). Since the
      trains have been rebuilt with self-closing doors and
      a/c, there's always a great roar of ventilation in the
      trains. So, yeah, it's not quite so hot in summer, but
      the nice breezes are gone, and the trains are noisy.
      I didn't mind it the way it was.

      Ditto elevators--I tend to use them if they're there.
      If they're not there, then I never use them. ;-)

      Regards,

      ------ ### -----
      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 14, 2005
        Winding up the elevator discussion, Will Stewart said:

        >I assume you are talking about flats as the context for the following,
        > where an elevator would service 3 floors above the ground floor, and
        >perhaps 4 units per floor at each elevator stop.

        Well, no, TWO flats per floor, so they have through ventilation
        and some light from both ends.

        >Plus, the human factor of modest scale and a courtyard are also very
        >important factors.

        oh, yes

        Regards,